I don't know all the reasons why Doctors won't just tell a patient the truth about dependancy, but, my best guess is fear of the unknown. In my opinion they are scared of Lawsuits. Scared of what this person may do.  If you are trying to stop taking Oxycodone like I was in 2011 then you probably felt like no one was giving you a roadmap to success. You felt like you had somehow aquired a PHD in chemistry and the medical field with all of the knowledge you had obtained through the internet. You asked and pleaded for help to stop taking these drugs. I read everything. I felt as if no one cared. I felt like my doctors were pawning me off to pain management doctors and no one was simply saying the obvious...Stop taking them! That is it.

I suffered a back injury, had spinal fusion, was givin Oxycodone during recovery and was taking them for a year. As I felt my back injury and recovery or healing process of that surgery was over. I started weaning off the meds. Lowering my dosages. I did everything any normal person would do. I asked doctors, everyone, how? How to I stop taking this drug? The back injury and surgery was no longer my issue, the issue now was this feeling that I was a drug addict and it had to stop, in order to fully heal. In retrospect I would have gladly suffered the pains of the surgery, because, that was to be expected. After surgery it is going to hurt. You can expect to be in pain from that. What I didn't expect was becoming dependant on the drugs and being shunned by my own doctors who prescribed me the medications. Surgeons preform surgery. Mine didn't have any concerns with anything afterwards. I tried slowly weaning off the meds. I felt like c**p! I learned as much as I could from every media I could. I asked everyone How to stop taking these drugs. I asked all the questions one would ask? Will I die if I just stop taking them, How do I stop taking them? Is their someone who can give me a list of what to take and slowly taper them off of me? Nothing worked! Nothing....worked. After reading everyone's experiences and seeing everyone go through the same things I had been going through. I came across one post...one person...simply said  "You people are stupid"....Stop taking the drugs. This was on a site where I had been reviewing probably fifty cases of people begging for relief, begging for answers on how to slowly wean off these meds. No one wants to feel pain. It's that simple, but, here's the reality....It's going to suck! You will feel terrible. Go to CVS and buy some circulatory legings ( stocking to help bad circulation) They are tight fitting socks that go up to your croutch, put them on! Find your favorite pillow or large stuffed animal and get in bed, have plenty of Gatoraides, pedi-lite, anything to replenish the fluids and vitamins, you are going to need to keep drinking these fluids as much as possible! Tell your family to bear with you and forgive anything they hear come from your room. I screamed, I cursed, I cried and after a couple of days the worst was over. It was two Hard days. It was a hard week following, but the days get better, the weeks get better and the good news is...You will no longer be dependant or addicted to this rediculous drug. I'm not a Doctor. I don't claim to be a drug Guru. I was a patient suffering from an injury and thrown away. My recovery process was just as important to me as my surgery. That was not the sentiment my surgeon shared. he preformed surgery, that's his job and that's how he saw it. Oh , your having diffuculty with the medications? welll here is a doctor who specializes in that, go away!  The pain management doctor wanted to substitute my addiction, dependancy? (whatever) with other drugs? Methadone, you name it, and told me he was there to give me whatever I wanted for as long as I wanted. I can call that guy right now and get drugs if I wanted! Stop taking them! That's no life. The pains you are experiencing on a daily basis regardless of whatever injury or illness you have are increased by these pain medications. They tell your brain this doesn't hurt ...but, now you have this pain...these doctors have no idea, what you are going through. They will give you drugs, they will preform surgeries, but, they are not going to hold your hand and suffer with you, this horrible suffering... you are going to have to overcome. Check with your doctors first, tell them your plan, get their opinions and make a choice.

Ask your doctor this one question...Am I going to die if I quit taking these medications right now?

Once the drugs were no longer in my system (and I mean months, If not a year to fully regain my sanity of overcoming this) I was able to get my life back.

Do not flush your meds in the toilet! I do not want to drink from my tap water and worry about ingesting your meds. Empty the contents of your prescription bottles in the trash can and then dispense of the bottles themselves.  I finally threw all my drugs away about a year AFTER I completely withdrew from my addiction...I was not in my right frame of mind to part with them. I honestly kept them as a backup to end my suffering, but, one day the clouds seperated and my eyes were finally opened enough and were clear enough, not to need them anymore.

If I can do this , You can do this! Your not weaker than me and I'm no stronger than you!

Codeine is a drug that takes hold of the person - but only when you take it.  Reducing it slowly is essential. It can be done, I have done it before and it was pure joy.

WRONG!! Flush ALL MEDS!! Too think that you'll absorb them somehow through your tap water is just ignorant!! Flush them once you have finished detoxing and while you do detox give them to a trusted family member or friend to despense as needed or prescribed if you are weening down from them ONLY....

Thank you Joseph for your honesty and encouragement. My greatest fear is lack of control when I need ligitimate medical care that might require some kind of anesthesia. Not being able to take what I normally take in preparation for a simple medical procedure was a living hell. Thankfully, the staff understood and helped tremendously through the entire process. Afterward, I keep thinking about the ever-present possibility of needing more that was required for this simple procedure.

Once or twice when I went way longer than I should have without the Oxycodone, I felt like I was having an uncontrolable phychotic break! My husband was very frightened until together we were able to get me back to a stable place. Plain and simple, I'm scared to go there again!

I've been there too! it's so aweful! i'm weaning down off a 175mg a day habit right now.so far im at 140mg.i will drop to 120mg soon, but yes being so scared is the worst and i hope you never have to feel that way again my friend. God Bless!

DO NOT FLUSH YOUR MEDS! Take them to a pharmacy or to a doctor for disposal.

Hey buddy honestly your my hero man, HERO STRAIGHT UP BROTHER! seriously things the worst prescription medical drug in the world this
Medication is the DEVIL... HANDS DOWN. I personally have been on oxycodone and in massive daily dosages of anywhere from 350/mg-500/mg PER DAY! I had a bad accident on November 21st of 2011 and have been going through hell this past 8 months trying to overcome this drug addiction I didn't even know I had.. my doctor just kept on increasing my daily dosage ignorant seemed like every few weeks it was going up about 80/mg for about 3 months till there was a point I was talking 400-500/mg a day. So long story short I had just got called to work.. I work away from home and I only had about 12 days worth of my pain meds left (didnt realise at the time i had work and my son on my mind hes three years old) and it was a long weekend I didn't even think about getting more not knowing or realising that I would end up running out while about 13 hours from my doctor, so as the days went on I started to realise that I only had a few days of medication left before I was out, so I just continued to stay in camp working and I was just going to try to suffer and bare the pain for the last 4 or 5 days till I was home to see my doctor... so the following morning I woke up with the worst sickness, body aches and pains I had ever experienced in my life... X1000(the sickest I've ever ever been I didn't think it was possible for a human to feel this train wreak like in my life) so I just did my regular thing that morning and went time work trying not to act sick or anything I had a great job an I didn't want to lose it... that night I was so sick and so sore and in so much pain I thought my heart was going to explode with flu like symptoms, hot and cold sweats, shaking, extreame anxiety attacks, stroke like symptomes as well!!! So as usual as I always do I went onto Google and looked up the oxycodone withdrawals and so on.. and I Came across a post to get to the doctors ASAP or you could possibly stop breating and every symptom I felt was listed !!!! I packed my bags as fast as possible got into my truck and put it to the floor, then as heading out of town I GOT on my cell and called 911 to ask about my condition.. long story short my doctor had given me enough medication in one day to kill about ten full grown men, and I'm talking taking this about on a day to day basis.. without the meds my body will shut down and I will stop breathing at this amount of mg a day and just up and stop taking them... this was about two weeks ago I was taking anywhere from 350-500/mg a day depending on how sick I'd feel in just as little as a few weeks I'm down to 250-300/mg a day (taking the meds to not be sick and die at this point) it honestly is the worst feeling in the world yes it is going to be hard to overcome but you can do it stay strong and you will become stronger as the days go on there is hope for you and anyone reading Kyle post and I hope my story is helpful and you have learned something, please be careful don't take your dosage down to fast as it takes a while even some people up to a year and a half to be "clean" also keep loved ones and family very close tell them what is going on and mention they go to some meetings to learn more about what your going through because from personal experience with my family I literally shut them out of my life because they had no IDEA WHAT YOUR GOING THROUGH!!!!! BE SURE TO TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT YOUR PLANS TO COME DOWN WITH YOUR DOSAGE. IF YOU FEEL THEY ARE NOT HELPING YOU TO THE BEST OF THERE ABILITY PLEASE FIGURED ONE WHOM CARES ABOUT what YOUR GOING THROUGH THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!! I wish you the best of luck you can do it :) may gods blessings be with you!! Good luck everyone and take care and one day when your back to yourself life will be so bright and happy! Thanks for reading yours truly Randy flahr!!!!!

hello everyone sorry if my spelling cantsee very good right i am on my secound day of detax it killing me dont if i can handle it any more i am on oxcontin 40 and labtab 10 forv seven years can someone help me out am sweating very moody going cazyhow can i stop this and very dizzy

I'm with you : at 90 a day right now, my doctor has been dropping me about 15 mg 1 x every 2 weeks. Slowly but surely, we will get through this. God Bless. And thank you merciful God for taking away the back pain that started this whole thing 7 months ago. I have been miraculously back-pain free since November, at which point I was up to 200 mg a day. 2 months later, halfway home, but feeling every drop; at least I have hope that there is an end in sight..

It's an accepted fact that flushing medications into a public sewer system has a negative impact on all the biological life that is sustained by the water where the medication is flushed. Most large and medium-sized municipalities in the US, Canada and Europe have collection sites for those who wish to responsibly get rid of their medications. Take it back ot the doctor who prescribed. Do not flush it down the sewers system, as it is a CLOSED system and other living organisms (including humans) will eventually digest it.

PS. Calling someone ignorant when you've dispensed stupid advice is exceptionally ironic, m***n

i am a disabled RN.  after a failed L4-L5 micro disc surgery in 8/11, i was maintained until last month on oxycontin 20 2X/ day.  the doc i saw last month would only give me oxycodone 10 mg TID.  it didn't offer as much pain coverage, but was better than nothing.

i saw my new neurosurgeon 1/26 who scheduled me for a spinal fusion w/ pedicles on 3/4.  he hooks me up with his pain management, who i saw 2/1.  she totally blindsided me with this curt mandate.  she wants me to self detox with my remaining oxycodone 10 mgm pills. (i have 29 left...)  no offer of supervision, assistance, guidance... nothing.  she ordered Lyrica and tramadol 50, 1-2 4X/ day.

well, i already dropped the oxycodone from 30/day to 20/ day.  i have to contact her, as my pills are tiny w/ enteric coating and unable to cut.  this way, i can use halves and quarters at the end.  needless to say, i am appalled at this protocol, especially pre-op spinal fusion!  i feel this needs to be done more slowly, as i have been on it since 8/11.  i just took 100 mg tramadol, and can barely keep my eyes open.  do you think the tramadol will help?  she gave me #240 w/ 3 refills, so i am set through the surgery after they cut off percocet and valium at 3 weeks.

i want her to swap out my 10's for percocet 5/325 which are scored.  this way, i have almost 60 tabs to work with.  and.........  i have a medical marijuana appt. for wed., as there are no pee tests due to it being a private practice.

what do you suggest?

listen, I am down to about 15-18 mg. a day from about 50 - 60 mg. a day and it seems to be working. I will lower the dose one more time before I have oral surgery next week then I may need the meds. after that is over I am getting away from this sh*t. I had 6 procedures done to my back this past year last one in Jan. 2013. I had a lot of pain before the work was done. If anyone out there has neck and upper back pain and you need to avoid surgery, ask your Dr. about (RFA) Radio Frequency Ablation. I had it and it worked. I was having severe headaches 25 days a month, couldn't sleep and when I did I was awoke in great pain. they tell me it could come back but lets see. I feel good now and I'm more active than I have been in over a year. I am breaking these pills into pieces about 3 mg. size and spreading them out over the day. After I have this damn impacted wisdom tooth removed I am picking a quit day and sticking to it. 

my dr. turned out to be an as#$%^e as well, he gave me a script for 120 - 10/325 which stated take one tab every four hrs as needed for pain. well that was about 2 months before he figured out what procedure would help me. well the following months were the same 2 RX for 60 x 10/325. when we got to Dec. 2012 he was ready to schedule my dates he asked about the meds and I said I was taking about 5 a day he said," don't do that , thats too much why are you doing that?" promise me you will only take three a day. I said OK. well I had the procedures, 6 of them. he asked me about the meds again and I told him I'm running out, I need more. he changed at this point to a total as****e. he called the pharmacy, counted the # of pills and said "you are taking 9 pills a day". ( to everyone here tell me how someone can go to school for 20 years and they still can't add???) anyway he said I broke a pain agreement and cut me off at the time I was taking 3 a day and I had three left, no counseling, no advice, no discussion, no nothing. he thinks I'm selling the meds. for smart peop[e some drs. really are stupid.

I was successful by cutting back an eighth at a time.  I would cut a pill into a half, then a quarter, then cut the quarter in half with a pill cutter bought from the drugstore. 

if you take one pill and cut it into 1/8ths you will get 8 pie pieces.  Cut down an 1/8 at a time every two or three weeks.  When you get down to the last 1/8, take it every other day instead of every day for a week and then just quit.  I could do it, I just let friends know so that they could understand and I apologized if I acted kookie.

I actually did this while working, yeah I put on weight because of the cravings but I figured I would deal with that afterward.  it took 10 months to get off of it after taking it for hip surgery.  i was down to one pill after six months and was originally taking about six a day.

I know its not easy but you'll feel like a different person when you're off of it...it feels good.

What if you take over 20 Oxycodone 30 mg a day?