Hello! Can you give me some general information about arthritis? I am 32 year-old female and my grandmother suffers from arthritis. I was wondering if I were in a risk category, if the disease is hereditary and if there are things I could do to prevent the disease from striking. Thanks

There are many forms of arthritis like rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis, which are autoimmune diseases, and the more common osteoarthritis aka degenerative joint disease but you didn’t say if your grandmother developed the disease at the early age or if the arthritis was due to her old age. You should know that some arthritis forms can’t be avoided as our body ages. When we reach the age of 50, our joints slowly start to degenerate. Many forms of arthritis can be managed by regular exercise, medications, rest, proper nutrition, so I am sure that some of these factors could also play a role in avoiding or in prolonging the onset of the disease. Hereditary may play a role in some forms of arthritis.