I am 56 years old male. I have suddenly a lot of trouble with my knees and the hips joints. Lately I have felt some pain in them only during the weather chances. But the pain was not so severe. Now my knees are swelled and painful. It has started in a few days. Could it be acute rheumatoid arthritis? My father had it. Tell me something about that illness.

Your symptoms are similar to those in acute rheumatoid arthritis. But I can't tell you do you have it without the proper exam. Rheumatoid arthritis is the condition in which all joints in your body could be affected by inflammation which causes the pain, heat redness and swelling. It is considered as autoimmune disease. Your onset of symptoms was sudden and severe so it is called acute. You can treat it with no steroidal anti inflammatory drugs corticosteroids, you could do some exercises, and you must sleep and rest enough.