I have grandmother and she has some problems, actually I don’t know which. Anyway, she had to visit rheumatologist. My parents didn’t want to tell me what is she suffers from, so I am worry. I said that to my friends, and all of them had different theory about his job. That’s why I want to know what rheumatologist mean and what do he treat?

Rheumatologist is internist or pediatrician who is qualified by additional training. He has and experience in diagnosis and treatment of arthritis and other diseases of the joints, muscles and bones. Rheumatologist treats arthritis, certain autoimmune diseases, musculoskeletal pain disorders and osteoporosis. There are more than 100 types of these diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis and lupus. Also there are included and osteoarthritis, gout, back pain, fibromyalgia and tendonitis. Some of those diseases are very serious that can be difficult to diagnose and treat. When musculoskeletal pains are not severe or disabling and last just a few days, it makes sense to give the problem a reasonable chance to be resolved. Though, sometimes pain in joints, muscles or bones is severe or persists for more than a few days. At that point, patient should see physician and probably rheumatologist. There are many types of rheumatic diseases that are not easy to identify in the early stages. Rheumatologists are especially trained to do the detective work necessary to discover the cause of swelling and pain.