I am suffering from arthritis. I’ve been on medication treatment for some time, mostly ibuprofen and acetaminophen to reduce the pain. I want to know what effect can corticosteroids have. I know there are no cures, and I am trying to rest as much as I can, but because of the nature of my work. I’ll appreciate any information.

Corticosteroids, such as prednisone, cortisone, and hydrocortisone are used to treat many rheumatic conditions because they decrease inflammation. The dosage of these medications will vary depending on the diagnosis and the patient; it can be given by mouth, in creams applied to the skin, or by injection. Short-term side effects of corticosteroids include swelling, increased appetite, weight gain, and emotional ups and downs; they generally stop when the drug is stopped. Generally, treatments for arthritis include rest and relaxation, exercise, proper diet along with medication. Instruction about the proper use of joints and ways to conserve energy are also. Other includes the use of pain relief methods and assistive devices, such as splints or braces and in severe cases, surgery may be necessary. You should work with your doctor together to develop a treatment plan. Treatment plans usually combine several types of treatment and vary depending on your rheumatic condition.