Hello! My grandmother suffers form arthritis. Her joint are often red and inflamed and hurt her a lot. She takes pain relievers to relieve the symptoms and I think they are effective. But, I have noticed her fingers started to deform. I think it is getting worse. Is there a way to stop deformity caused by arthritis?

Hello! Early and aggressive treatment is the best way to slow the deformity caused by arthritis. Sometimes the progression can’t be stopped but it can be slow down. Joints that are affected by arthritis are weak and unstable and may grow in an abnormal, asymmetrical way. Many patients think that symptom management stop after taking medications but there are many things that could be done to relieve the pain and slow down the deformity progression. Activities that cause pain on the fingers which lasts for more than one hour should be avoided. It is important to avoid the positions of deformity, take frequents rest breaks, keep the wrist and fingers well aligned when grasping or holding objects and use assistive devices.