Hello! I have just come back from my doctor who has told me that I have cervical arthritis. He prescribed some non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs and recommended a special pillow I should rest with. I remember my mother had the same problems with her neck and I was wondering if cervical arthritis could be genetic condition. She also had problems with pain and neck stiffness and she also had terrible headaches.

Hello! Cervical arthritis is one type of arthritis which is classified as rheumatic disease. Age, injury and poor posture play a role in who develops this disease. Many types of arthritis are similar especially in a tendency to affect the joints, muscles, ligaments and cartilage. Most common causes include injury but inheritance is also one of the possibilities but this is not certain. In a case of cervical arthritis injury is the most common cause.