I have 10 years old son who developed swollen lymph nodes in the neck. It does not itch, just that seems as small lumps. I do not understand what it could be, so I am asking you. Can you tell me what causes this scary thing, and should I take him to the doctor? Tell me what I could do to help with his condition, because I do not what to do.

Children are more likely to have swollen nodes than are adults, and that is common condition parents complain. In children, the problem is usually a sign of infection, but when older people develop the condition, there may be a more serious. Some other causes for swollen lymph nodes in the neck could include allergic reactions, arthritis, cancer, metabolic diseases, and an overactive thyroid. If you take him to the doctor, he will treat the cause of the swelling. If he has an infection, he might need to take an antibiotic or an antiviral medication. If his doctor is not sure what is causing the problem, he could need to have the swollen node biopsied. To perform this procedure, doctor will insert a needle in the lymph node, remove a sample of tissue or fluid, and send it to laboratory. Important instruction for you is not to poke or squeeze the swollen lymph nodes in his neck. This could keep them from returning to normal, and definitely, that is not good thing to do. You may give him acetaminophen for pain and fever, but do not give him aspirin.