Hi, I have severe knee pain, for sometime. Doctor said that he needs to perform an arthroscopic surgery. What is it exactly? If it is only a diagnostic method, why is it called a surgery?

Hi, I had arthroscopic surgery done three years ago, when I had knee injury. Arthroscopic surgery is a common orthopedic procedure, which is performed to diagnose and treat problems in joints. So, it is not only diagnostic method. This procedure enables look inside a joint, but also gives opportunity to fix some problem. The knee and shoulder joints are mostly used for this operation, since they are the largest joints, so it’s not difficult to manipulate the instruments around. This procedure requires a camera to be inserted into the joint through a small incision of about one centimeter. The camera is attached to a fiberoptic light source and enables to get a picture of the inside of the joint.