Hi, I'm 27 years old and recently when I was on skiing in Aspen I hurt my left knee. I went to the doctor right after I returned and he took some X-rays and said that I have bruised the knee, stretched and strained a few ligaments in the knee and that I will probably need to have a what he called arthoscopic reconstruction of the knee ligaments. I would like to know what kind of a surgery that is and why is arthoscopic surgery different than any other? What does “arthoscopic” actually mean?

The knee injury of any kind can be very dangerous because it can cause disability in patients if not adequately treated. Arthoscopic surgery is the most advanced and the least invasive method of surgically curing any knee injury. It is called arthoscopic because during the procedure an instrument called arthroscope is used to view the inside of the knee and perform incisions and surgical operations within the knee. The procedure is performed with usually three minor incisions on each side of the knee to gain access to the cavity of the knee, then a special isotonic liquid is being pumped into the knee to expand the working space, after that the surgeon comes into the knee with arthroscope, which has a camera built into it so the surgeon can see the inside of the knee and perform the surgery with minimally invasive incisions. In any case I'm sure that your doctor knows what’s he doing and I don’t think that there’s much to worry about, arthoscopic knee surgery is very common these days and I'm sure that you will recover rapidly. If you still have some questions about this matter feel free to talk to your doctor about it or ask a second opinion from another professional.

I,had knee surg,arth. on left. how do i get the swelling down,i've had four sessions already,of pt still not going down