Hello, I am 58 years old, male. I am suffering from osteoarthritis for last few years. Doctor explained me that the cause is ageing and that is not uncommon for the people of my age. My greatest problem is the knee pain. I had to retire from the work. I fell very useless since that happened. On my last check doctor told me that there is a fissure of the knee and the surgery may be needed. I would like to know what other options beside the surgery for knee fissures are. Thank you

I’ve heard that in the future will be meds which are available to protect cartilage from the deteriorating consequences of osteoarthritis. I also have heard that there are surgical innovations and techniques for the repair fissures of the knee. My mom suffers from the same thing and I am very worried about her. She is also on meds but 30 min of walking is her limit. In this new procedure, a patient's own cartilage is actually grown in the laboratory, then inserted into the fissure area and sealed over with a "patch" of the patient's own bone covering the tissue. I find it amazing! She uses diklofenac for the pain relief, but you should advise your doctor first if it is safe for you too.