Hi, I used several different medications and a physical therapy for my lower back pain, but I don’t feel any release. I decided to do an artificial disc replacement. I heard that it can have some complications, so I’m wondering if they’re serious. I also heard that Germany has the best disc models. Is this true?

Yes, Germany has made the best artificial disc called SB Charite III prosthesis. This disc has two endplates made of cobalt chromium alloy, and both plates have teeth along the border for attaching to the vertebral body. The surgical procedure has anterior (frontal) approach. It can have some complications like dislocation of the implant, breakage of the metal plate and infection. The main reason for doing Artificial Disc Replacement is relieving a lower back pain. It is usually done by people with degenerated discs in the lower spine. Their condition is sometimes very painful, so this artificial disc can be a real salvation for them. The motion is possible because of the a polyethylene rubber core put between the plates.