Hi, I am a thirty six years old woman. I have a problem that really scares me. On my last visit to the doctor, a scheduled mammogram was performed. When the results came in, they shocked me. The doctor said that I have some tissue in the left breast that is different than the one in the right. Apparently, it is asymmetric. I do not know what this means. I have another appointment with the doctor scheduled on which ultrasound will be performed. Can you tell me something about asymmetric breast tissue?

Hi, I do not think that that you should worry too much. You did not mention if you feel a lump in that breast area. Since you didn't, I suppose that you do not have it. Mammogram is a test on which asymmetric tissue area is normal to occur. This is quite common. A procedure called spot compression should be the next step in evaluating the area where the asymmetric tissue is located. Usually the problem that you have means that a breast tissue bended over itself and caused the asymmetry. Spot compression will smooth it out and later mammograms will prove it. I am sure that the ultrasound, that you are to have, will prove me right. I can understand that you are very concerned, but you can see that most probably you have nothing to worry about.

I have a friend who was diagnosed with a Asymmetric breast density and after 6 years she developed breast cancer. Is this possible I am concern because I was told I have Asymmetric lump on my right breast. At this moment I am not worried or concern, but since I have breast caner history in my family, I am starting to worry about it. I will be seeing a doctor for followup in May six months later. Please advise