I'm mid-30s and they suggested a mammogram after I found a lump which was probably benign but she said to check there were no smaller lumps that couldn't be felt. I was unsure, but the doctor in her 20s (it was a university hospital) assured me that it was safe and painless. She knew it was my first time, but didn't even explain to me how the procedure worked. I went in not knowing what to expect. They x-rayed twice each from different angles. I thought the first one was the most pain I'd ever experienced, but the radiographer told me she pressed even harder on the left to catch the lump. It was excruciating, she just kept saying, "Hold still, hold still". I felt like crying. After that, my skin was dark red all over my breasts.

When I got home, I took off my T-shirt to change into PJs, I saw myself in the mirror, and what I saw shocked me. My small A cup round firm breasts, the way they'd been since my teens, were still squashed, the nipples had gone from circles to rugby ball shaped, the pale pink to dark red.

My breasts were sagging and lop-sided. I took a photo and compared it with one from before going to the hospital, and I cried. I had gone from looking like a teenager, the breasts I'd carried for the past 20 years, to looking like a 60 year old, in just a few minutes. They also felt completely soft, not an ounce of firmness. It felt like trying to pick up jelly with your hands.

I Googled to try to find out how long it'd take to regain their shape. Unfortunately, all I could find were other people's experiences of being permanently damaged, and also medical articles which said the same thing. Mammograms not only give too much radiation, but sometimes can't catch cancers due to dense tissue, or some people are wrongly diagnosed. Also the pressure can cause irreversible damage to the breast tissue. All of the articles said the same. I have become depressed. Crying every day for the past week. I can't bear to touch these hanging sacks of skin filled with almost liquid jelly, it feels too weird. But I still have to wash. I can't bear to even look at them. I feel so ugly, I have lost my confidence. And they feel so uncomfortable. I didn't used to need a bra, they wouldn't move when I moved, but now they just swing around and wobble all over the place and I have to hold them when I walk, I can't even run now. They are painful too. I can't sleep. I haven't slept for the past 6 days, I feel really tired, but when I lie down, I can't lie on my side like I used to do, because they droop to one side, so I have to lie on my back, and I just stare at the ceiling in the darkness. Last night I slept for 2 hours, I was dreaming that I was desperately searching for a way to heal my breasts. I woke up, they were painful. I couldn't get back to sleep. I've been so depressed, I just lie in bed and regret ever having taken the mammogram. It is the worst thing I have ever done, and I just wish that I had known the outcome beforehand. I feel bad that I can't go back in time and refuse the mammogram. I hate myself for not refusing it.

I went to seek a second opinion today at a specialist clinic, the doctor has many years of experience.

He told me that a mammogram was not necessary, he never recommends mammograms to people under a certain age. He seemed angry that the first doctor had given me a mammogram. He told that an ultra sound was enough, and even better for picking up that the lumps were caused by calcium build ups. He said on the mammogram they would probably look white and could be mistaken for cancer, this causes misdiagnosis's like in some articles that I've read, and that the ultrasound showed them better.

I wish I hadn't let them talk me into a mammogram at the first hospital. I hate what it has done to my body and my self-esteem.

I feel both physically and mentally scarred. Also the pain is still present. I keep hoping that this is just a nightmare and that I can wake up and my body will be back to normal. It's affecting me emotionally because of the pain and physical appearance.

I'd really like to find some hope, if anyone knows of a way to refirm the breast tissue back to normal I would be ever so grateful.

I have the exact same experience and thoughts and I’m ten years younger. It’s awful. They were great and now... I am so upset and sad about it-what has your experience been?

You are describing exactly what happened to me in detail. The tech did this to me deliberately but I would like to talk to you.

Im actually older, 39 but been pregnant never had extrem weight yo-yoing, double up on sports bras when jogging , i had a mammogram done my poor boobs did become softer they had dropped i was mad but it was “acceptable” a lump was later removed , and was told i needed another to “graduate” from treatments however i told them i no longer wanted a mammogram i was told it was better/new way 3D and omg it was exactly the same procedure!!!!!!
When i got in my car i cried, im embaressed for my fiance to see me naked , i hate seeing myself after my morning shower , i know it sounds shallow but i hate them, my fiance is sweet , supportive says im beautiful says “he cant tell” which sometimes makes me angry because i know hes lying & i have to remind myself hes trying to help me through this
I really, really want surgery they were so perky such a part of my identity & confidence & how my work clothes would fit, im beside myself i dont even know how to be normal. My seat belt feels different my million Vic Secret bras dont fit correctly, so much gapping now in the cups, just embaressing im getting married in 70 days and 6 mths ago id ordered my dress & of course it was strapless to showcase my still acceptably perky boobs, now im dreading my fitting & wedding day
I cry before work & hide it when i can from my fiance , it just sucks i feel stupid complaining but until something like thst is taken from you, no one can understand,

There is nothing shallow about how you feel about your breasts. Your are your body, that was part of you that was stollen away. You likely took good care of your body and wore a bra, you did not neglect your own body and yet they were stolen by a stranger in minutes. Someone you will never see again ruined your body. She destroyed the health of your breasts and the quality of your life. Why would you feel stupid for complaining? Its not O.K for someone to rob you of a body part that gave you your form. Its O.K to be angry and want justice. I had the same thing happen to me.

I feel that my entire breast tissue has been ripped from the sternum. Had a mammogram about 5 months ago. The plastic came down on chest about 3 inches below my collarbone. It pulled down on my chest and pain was excruciating. When I told the tech she just said it's only going to take about 2 seconds to take picture and continued. It felt a little tender as I left the clinic. I was in shock the next morning as I woke up with severe pain in that exact atea. It was red and swollen and felt bowed up and about size of palm of my hand. I started using ice pack and callled the clinic. The supervisor talked to me and assured me that this can sometimes happen but was not abnormal for some people. I continued having severe pain and using ice that day. The following day I went to the breast center but only person there was tech that did my mammogram. She acknowledged the swelling and recommended I see my Dr. Walked upstairs to gynecologist office but they were closed. Left there went to walk in clinic. I explained what happened then had xray. Dr tells me have a very deep bruise and may take couple months to heal. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago. Took my bra off and entire breast is flat, hanging and disfigured! I continued to explore the area and found huge bowed Fup area still there but no redness or pain. I do not examine brea t daily so when pain was gone I thought it was just healing. Went to gynecologist and he is referring me to breast cancer Dr. My mammogram was clear and problem is in exact area that mammogram hurt me. I am so afraid and depressed. I don't know what has been torn or damaged but I'm afraid can't be repaired. I do know when I walked into clinic for mammogram I had none of this. I don't know where to turn. So depressed and I will Never have another mammogram!

New Member
1 post

I just got home from having a mammogram, after a 12-year lapse, and just like you, my shapely A cup breasts are hanging like pancakes ... and I am sooooooooooo upset! I didn't even want this mammogram - internist kept mentioning I needed to do it.

I googled "saggy flat breasts after mammogram" hoping to find reassurance - somewhere. I found this site - read your story and the others - and now I'm super depressed - and ANGRY.

Wish I could go back in time!

Same thing happened to me. I'm 47 with perky firm breasts, I didn't want the mammogram, only an ultrasound, but the woman says she's been doing this for many years and pressured/convinced me to have a mammogram done. I did and then the next day my breasts were soft with no more firmness. My breasts are not and will never be like they were before. I regret getting a mammogram every single day.

The word needs to get out about mammograms ruining breasts. My firm perky breasts are now light and feel like jello after my mammogram. I still have burning pain even after 2 months. Mammograms ruin breasts!!