Hello, folks. I often hear on television how doctors talk about various types of diabetes. I would like to ask what the types of diabetes mellitus are. How many are there? I would really appreciate if anyone could share this piece of information with me. Thanks for all in advance, guys. Bye!

Hello. The most mentioned types of diabetes are type 1 and type 2. Type 1 usually begins in childhood or early adolescence. It is caused by destroying the endocrine cells in pancreas. These cells cannot produce enough insulin that is needed in organism. Type 2 is common for older people. The cells in endocrine pancreas are in good condition. However, insulin itself is not functional or it cannot have a supposed effect on receptors in target cells. There is also gestational diabetes. It appears in pregnancy. After labor, glucose levels usually return to normal. There are other types of diabetes, but they are rarer.