What is an autoimmune disease? My Mom told me that my little brother who is only 8 years old is suffering from some autoimmune disease called hemolytic anemia. I somewhat understand what anemia means, loss of blood, right? I just need to know about it a little more, so that I understand what we are, him especially, fighting with.

Autoimmune disease is a great misfortune and something that, literally, mocks the doctor's effort. Usually, in most cases of human illnesses and diseases medical science is trying to strengthen the immune system and human natural defenses. In this case, immune system is the enemy. His main line of defense, antibodies sees body's own cells as foreign objects that have to be removed. One form of therapy is use of immunosuppressive drugs, medicaments that inhibit our immune system. Ironic, don't you think?