Hi, I have some questions regarding my mother. She started having problems few months ago. It all began with abdominal pain and night sweats. Then she started to lose weight. Naturally, I took her to see a doctor. First diagnose was pancreas cancer. Later, after some additional tests, the diagnose was autoimmune pancreatitis. My mother was prescribed with some medicine. What kind of condition is autoimmune pancreatitis and how was it mistaken for pancreas cancer?

Hi, autoimmune pancreatitis is benign condition often confused with pancreas cancer. My father was experiencing the same things like your mother. When we were told that he has cancer, we were all stunned. After some laboratory tests and, among others endoscopic ultrasound, he was diagnosed with autoimmune pancreatitis. The new diagnose was much more acceptable than the cancer. This condition is caused by the inflammation of the pancreas and often enlargement of the organ occurs. Our immune system creates antibodies that work against all the threats in our organism. Sometimes, the immune system recognizes our own organs as a threat and develops antibodies that fight them. That is what happens with autoimmune diseases. The attack of antibodies is causing the inflammation of the pancreas. The symptoms of autoimmune pancreatitis and pancreas cancer are very similar and that is why mistakes are made in diagnosing this illness. My father was prescribed with corticosteroids and they are helping him. I am sure that your mother is taking the same medicine. Just let me convince you that the prognosis is very bright in almost every case.