Hello, folks. My niece has been recently diagnosed diabetes mellitus. I know that there are several types of diabetes. I would like to know what type is more common in children. I would appreciate if anyone could tell me this. This piece of info is important. I hope this doesn’t bother you much.

Hello. Usually, type 1 of diabetes mellitus is more common among children. Endocrine pancreatic cells called beta cells are usually destroyed. The exact cause is unknown. Some people say it is done by viruses, others by autoimmune processes. In any case, since there are no beta cells, there is not enough insulin in organism. Insulin is very important for glucose’s entering into the cell. Glucose is energy or food for each cell. In this way, these cells are hungry. Kids usually start immediately with insulin therapy unlike older people with type 2 of diabetes. I hope this helps. Bye!