Hi, I am a twenty eight years old woman. I am in my second trimester of pregnancy. Everything was just fine until now. I started having pain in the joints of my arms. I told that to my doctor and he did some tests. He diagnosed me with rheumatoid arthritis. Actually he used the word flare. What can you tell me about rheumatoid arthritis flare in pregnancy?

Hi, rheumatoid arthritis affects women more than men. It produces the inflammation of the joints that creates pain. Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune illness. This means that our immune system recognizes the tissue in our body, in this case joints, as an enemy and acts against it producing inflammation. During the pregnancy immune system changes which affects the course of autoimmune illnesses. Also, during the pregnancy hormonal changes are happening. This is also one of the causes of rheumatoid arthritis. The good thing is that rheumatoid arthritis flare in pregnancy is usually treated and withdraws within the pregnancy period. However, there are also cases in which it continues after the pregnancy. You should only follow your doctor's orders and everything will be alright.