Hi, I have a fifty seven years old mother. I think that she is beginning to feel the impact of getting old. She has rheumatoid arthritis which really makes it hard for her to walk. The thing about my mother is that she was never on any kind of diet. Now she feels that certain food is making her pain worse. Could this be true and is there some kind of special diet that helps with rheumatoid arthritis?

Hi, this is a very interesting question. You see, rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease. This means that it is produced by our own immune system. It recognizes some tissue in our body (in this case the joints) as an invader and starts acting against it. As a result, inflammation, which causes pain, occurs. There is no cure for it but the treatment consists of resolving the symptoms. Scientists have not yet realized completely the effects of food on this illness. Oranges and fish oils seam to reduce the inflammation of the joints. If your mother feels that there are foods that make her condition worse, it would not be such a bad idea for her to sustain from taking those foods. It is also important that she doesn't exclude the entire food groups. So you see, there is no special kind of diet that can be applied for rheumatoid arthritis. Your mother should go on her instincts but only after she has consulted the doctor.