Hello. A close friend of mine has been having some liver problems. It seems that he has autoimmune hepatitis. I must admit that I haven’t heard about this disease before. I would like to find out about its incidence. Is it rare or more common that we think? I have read somewhere that the incidence is between 2 and 3 on 100.000 people. Is this accurate?

Hello. I think that autoimmune hepatitis is not a frequent disease. I think that incidence is even smaller than the one that you have mentioned. Incidence is a number of cases that are new in one year. For this disease it is 1 to 2 of 100.000 people in population. Prevalence is 10 to 20 of 100.000 people. Prevalence is all the cases of the disease – newly discovered and the old ones. I am not sure I can provide you with more info. You can consult some experts. Bye!