A colleague admitted to me that she suffers from cystic fibrosis recently. She told me a bit about her symptoms and the treatment she is receiving for cystic fibrosis, but she also mentioned that her life expectancy is not very high. My colleague is in her mid-twenties now, and I want to know how much longer she can continue to live? To be honest, I am really shocked and I am not quite sure how to cope. My colleague is a great person, and I had no idea she was so ill.

Treatment of cystic fibrosis has been improving, along with pretty much all other areas of modern medicine. With the improvement of treatment for cystic fibrosis, the life expectancy for cystic fibrosis patients has also increased. Many cystic fibrosis patients live into their forties now. However, the life expectancy generally does not exceed forty, and many cystic fibrosis patients will make it to their mid thirties.