I am a student in high school, and our teacher told us we would check our heart rate. I am waiting next class, because I really want to find out more about it. Anyways, I am a little bit worried if I will turn out as normal or sick. That is why I would like to know about average human heart rate. Can you tell me more about procedure we will perform and if average human heart rate depends on years?

First, your teacher or doctor will help you to locate your pulse points, on wrist or neck. Then he or she will ask you to place your right index and middle finger on the palm side of your left wrist. On the neck, the pulse point is located beneath your ear and jawbone. Then you will be said to count the number of beats in 15 seconds. Multiply this by four that gives you numbers 15x4=60, which is done because there are 60 seconds in one minute. This is how many times the heartbeats in one minute for you. Student pulse rate at rest will vary between 60 - 110 beats per minute, which could be average. Anyway, adult average heart beat rates are lower. It depends of years, so average heart beat rate for children of 1-3 years is 130, average for 4-8 years old I 100, and 9-11 is 88. Average heart beat rate for persons of 12-16 is 80, and above 16 is 70 heartbeats per minute.