What is actually a normal resting heart rate? I’ve read that there are certain training zones and that in order to calculate them I need to determine my resting heart rate. I’m planning to start cycling and I want to do everything properly and avoid possible health troubles, so I’m wondering how to determine my resting heart rate and what the average values are.

Resting heart rate refers to number of your heartbeats per minute when your body is relaxed and when you’re resting. There is no single average value and everything has to be taken into account when determining one’s resting heart rate – age, weight, health condition. For example, an average adult male has resting heart rate of 70bpm (beats per minute) while females tend to have just a tad higher values. Infants and kid usually have very high resting heart rate which can reach 130bpm. Athletes should have lower resting heart rates because that’s the indicator of good health. Lance Armstrong, for example, has 32 beats per minute and his is one of the healthiest hearts. You can determine your resting heart rate if you lie down and relax for 15-20 minutes and after that take your pulse. That’s your resting heart rate.