My fiance is 24 years old . He has been experiencing "Skipped heartbeats
" For about 4-5 days now. He only gets them when he stands up or when he is walking, i used a stethascope on his chest when he was having an episode. In order to explain myself more, think about counting at a normal pace. 1...2...3...4.........6...7...8 In other words, it sounded like a noral beat at first but then it skipped a beat for a second and then after it skipped a beat it came back with a LOUDER beat and went back to normal for a few more beats for a few seconds and then it would skip another beat and come back again with a louder beat etc... He has a history of palpitations in the past, but he said they are nothing like what he has been feeling lately because he is getting these skipped beats in bursts ( 10-20 in a 2-3 minute timeframe ) and he also said he experiences moderate chest pain for a split second when the heart skips a beat.. He said that he used to get palpitations maybe once or twice a day he would get an extra beat or a skipped beat. He went to the cardiologist about this about 1 year ago and they did an echo/ekg/bloodwork. Everything back then was fine except for 2 MINOR leaking heart valves that the DR said was very common and it was nothing to worry about. I brought him to the E.R. 2 days ago and they did an ekg, bloodwork , a chest xray , and they put him on a heart monitor. During his time in the hospital, he did not experience any skipped beats or anything and the E.R. DR. said that they didnt find anything wrong. He has an appointment with his cardiologist in a week. I would like to have some outside input from other doctors or other patients experiencing the same problems before we go and talk with his cardiologist. Does anyone have any idea on what is going on with him? Any input would be greatly apprechiated..

It is more than likely called Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVC). It is the most common of all arrhythmias. Some extra electrical impulse in his ventricle is causing a beat that is out of rhythm with the normal heartbeat. I have it also, as well as that "leaky valve" which is probably Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) where the mitral valve doesn't close all the way. Neither one is life threatening per se; the MVP leaves you prone to heart infections in the future (which can be dealt with OK) while PVC is just annoying and will drive him crazy more than it will harm his heart. There are rare exceptions to all this I have told you so go to a good cardiologist and get a thorough check. Something he might also have noticed is that there are certain "triggers" for his "skipped heartbeats" he is noticing. For example, I have a nerve near my stomach that when compressed causes these heartbeats, so when I eat a lot or bend down it often triggers the heartbeats. I also have one in my neck that does the same when I put my arms in certain positions or even lie on my side. Again it seems severe when you experience them like your heart will stop beating at any minute, but in reality they are probably just going to be an annoyance to him more than anything. He might get prescribed a Beta Blocker to see if it helps. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. It is a very common medication. I hope this information helps; I suffer from the same thing. It is more common than you think!!

I suffered from skipped heartbeats for 30 years. I consulted numerous doctors and underwent countless tests with zip result. My wife said: it might be gluten sensitivity so stop eating anything with gluten (mainly wheat). Bingo! That was it. Within a few days my problem was solved after 30 years of suffering and worry. I hope this can help someone else.
Best wishes, art fell

If you ever read this, you have confirmed what I have thought all along. My intolerance for Gluten has caused most if not all of my health related problems, including skipped heart beats.

Just FYI, a really good quality CoQ-10 with Ubiquinol (100-200mg per day) (Jarrow is a good company) will also go a long way to preventing future skipped beats by feeding the m,illions of mitochondria at the cellular level of the heart.

I am experiencing the same problem and have done so for years, it comes and goes. My heart skips and then corrects itself with 1 big thud But every time I make an appointment it never happens! I have had blood work and EKG and everything is normal. I have no history of palpitation's and when it happens I experience no pain or discomfort, I have noticed that there is certain triggers like caffeine or when I am tired and hungover. I am. 31 and I go to the gym I am athletic and consider myself to be fit and healthy with a good diet. This has been happening all through my 20's and I just put up with it but its starting to happen for longer periods now which sometimes worries me, its been happening on and off for 48 hours now hence why I am on here trying to reassure myself I am not going to die in my sleep tonight ;-) really I should go to A&E when it's happening but I really can't be bothered as I am on 6-2 shift and I know being tired contributes to it but I can't help wondering if I am not taking this seriously enough! I have heard magnesium helps so I have just purchased some so will see if that helps. Any thoughts???