Heart pulpitation or skipped (lowered thumpy) heart beat, followed by cough & irritated gums. This is what I have been experiencing as of late. I am considerably fit, I train 2 or 3 times a week (boxing) and don't smoke. I don't have any issues during training ie. normal cardio work outs etc... This normally happens when I am sitting, i will feel a sudden change in my heart rythim, feels like slowing or skipped beat, followed by a forced cough. I then get a weird feeling in my lower teeth or gums. I haven't seen a doctor as I am sure he is going to say all is good. I don't worry about it however it is a little annoying. I also have to add that i don't get the usual heart attack signs, shortness of breath, chest pains, arm & back pain. Does any1 have any suggstions?

Give your doctor this term and see if it is what's affecting you. It is more than likely called Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVC). It is the most common of all arrhythmias. Some extra electrical impulse in your ventricle is causing a beat that is out of rhythm with the normal heartbeat. I have it also. It is not life threatening per se; PVC is just annoying and will drive you crazy more than it will harm your heart. There are rare exceptions to all this I have told you so go to a good cardiologist and get a thorough check. Something you might also have noticed is that there are certain "triggers" for your "skipped heartbeats" you are noticing. For example, I have a nerve near my stomach that when compressed causes these heartbeats, so when I eat a lot or bend down it often triggers the heartbeats. I also have one in my neck that does the same when I put my arms in certain positions or even lie on my side. Again it seems severe when you experience them like your heart will stop beating at any minute, but in reality they are probably just going to be an annoyance to you more than anything. You might get prescribed a Beta Blocker to see if it helps. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. It is a very common medication. I hope this information helps.

Celebrity
When im lying on my partners chest... just watchint tv at night. I listen to his heart beating an iv noticed he has a different beat every so often, Is this simular to what you are talking about. Should he be checked out?

Anytime you notice your heart has a weird beat, it is an arrhythmia. The most common of these arrhythmias is the PVC I spoke of. If you get an EKG and an Echo from a Cardiologist, they will surely be able to tell you what the problem is. These are basic tests that are easy to get and Cardiologists see these types of arrhythmias all the time.

Thank you ecuadormissiontrip! 

I too am having skip beats. I did a general checkup including holter monitor, but the doctor only gave me a clean bill of health and assures me that these skip beats were benign and no need to sweat over it.

But its very darn annoying. I am 34 years of age, 5'8" in height, a little overweigt at 220lbs. It started maybe last November 2013 while I was having an interview I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I associated the skip beats with drinking as I started drinking again. This year, i promised myself to not drink for at least 6 months and see where it takes the skip beats. I am also struggling with weight loss but I am hopeful that the skip beats will go away. If not, then I will still enjoy my family to the fullest every waking day.

I hope we  have a facebook or other website for people with arrythmias/PVC/ or skip beats. So we can all support each other. Thank you and God bless!

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use