I took a physical yesterday. My resting heart-rate was 57.

1. does this mean im in shape?
2. will it get slower the longer/more I run?
3. is this tied into my cardio ability?

thanks,
Kel

57 is a pretty good RHR, and it is a good sign of cardiovascular health.
It may or may not get lower. RHR vary among different people.

thanks Cappy.
Maybe il be able to get it lower. its fun to see the changes running does to my body. before i started running i took a physical and rhr was close to 80. so its a positive thing to see something good happening! NOW, if i can just get rid of these love handles!
Kel

A resting heart rate is indicitive of a strong/healthy heart. Your heart is really a muscle. And as running conditions it to be stronger and healthier, it actually pumps more blood with each beat. Runners with very low heart rates have tickers that pump a huge volume of blood with a single beat. Weak, unconditioned hearts on the other hand are only able to pump smaller volumes per beat. Most everyone has similar blood demands to bring energy and oxygen to your organs, brain, extremities, etc, so when you have a strong heart, it takes less beats to meet those demands because the blood is being pushed by a bigger 'engine' so to speak pushing more blood with each beat. Resting heart rate is a great guage of fitness and lower is always better.

My RHR is typically in the high 30s. Not braggin or nuthin, just saying it can get pretty low and still be (relatively) ok.

As you continue to work on your running, it will get lower.

Ok, that said, lemme ask, does one's MAX Hr. go up with increased fitness? I know with increased fitness, it gets easier to not HIT it with exertion, but will the actual max number go up?

As long as you stay above zero, you're OK.

NORMALLY a lower heart rate is good. there is a condition called brachycardia though. this is a pulse rate that is slower than needed to maintain energy levels. it's rare though. more than likely you are in good shape :thumbsup:

isn't there an "athlete's bradycardia". My husband a few years back had to wear a holter for a day and they pretty much ruled out anything wrong with him. He was having sx of fainting. but between you and me, I always questioned his eating habits when this was occuring. He's in great shape now and I know his pulse is way low, but he supplements like a crazy person.

I was really shocked as me and a friend had a physical. We couldn't be more different (body types). We're both 24. He is a lean and very thin footballer who weighs about 12 stone and is 6"4, and I am a Rugby player, broad, 6" and weigh just over 16 stone. But when our resting heart rates were taken his was 78 and mine was 47. Couldn't believe it. The only thing I can put it down to was that I had trained for and ran a marathon 2 months ago, which must have seriously reduced my RHR. I assumed that as on BMI charts I am always in the "obese" column, that my RHR would be through the roof!

Does anyone know if a slow RHR can mean a slow metabolic rate? I have dieted and trained for Rugby/Marathon and never really lose any weight. I just maintain a constant weight.

Your heart rate is most likely related to your conditioning.I have very low blood pressure and low resting heart rate.This can make you feel a bit lightheaded which can make you panic.

Your heart rate is in normal condition. Did you check your blood pressure? You must also consider your blood pressure.