Juist curious....but what would you say would be the minimum base that's recommended before starting to train for a half marathon?

What would be the typical time frame for training for a half? (I'm assuming this varies based on where the person is starting?)

Depending on your goal you can start with as little as 15 mpw.

Check out HAL HIGDON'S HALF MARATHON TRAINING GUIDE The novice 12 week program starts at 12 mpw.

depends on whether you are just running to finish (not that there is anything wrong with that) or whether you have a specific performance goal in mind.

for the first option, as Tri-Bob mentions Higdon has some plans for novices that start out with very low mileage.

if on the other hand you will be racing against the clock, I'd recommend a minimum of 20-25 mpw for a couple of months and then working yourself up to the 35-40 (or even higher) mpw range during the training for the race.

---
megawill

It all depends on what you wanna do...like these guys said.

this was a lot like what i followed for my first half.

Thanks for the input. I was thinking about it, but don't really feel ready and I want to do it when I can do it without feeling like I'm killing myself. So I may just work on shorter distances for a while, and may have some other things going on in the next few months anyway where training for a half may not work out so well.

But one of these days darnit.......I will do a half and the full thing! Someday!