Just curious about different thoughts on when to decide to do a half. I've been toying with it for a while, but feel "maybe" I could actually feel ok training for one sometime soon.

My thoughts for when I do it are that I want a very good base before I even train. I'm not the type that would do it without being really ready. I've had 1 for sure and possibly another stress fracture, so I'm very paranoid about doing too much and getting one again. So my thoughts are to always be on the conservative side of running and training.

I'm up to a 6 mile long run which is feeling good and not killing me. I'm doing around 16 mpw now.

How do you "know" you are ready and make the commitment and what is a good time frame for my training?????

Thanks. I just keep thinking about it and wondering if I can/should try to go for it or just wait a while longer.

I'd say maybe when your running 20-25 mpw consistantly for a couple months and least. That's when I started thinking I could do it but everybody is different. I'm running my 4th half this weekend.

A fall half would be a good goal. It will give you several months to build up your milage.

A combo of what JU and TB suggested would be a good start. Look for a fall half, slowly ramp your mileage up to 25 mpw and hold that a few weeks and then take it from there if you feel comfortable.

So what would a typical week of 20-25 miles consist of? How many days of running and how far each? (I should've cross referenced my other thread in this forum about my current weekly running schedule, check it out and comment if you have thoughts).

I like jrjo's breakdown of running mileage for the week. He preaches his 3/1/2/1/2/1 formula. That's 6 days of running, 1 rest day. And the more difficult runs are spaced apart by an easier day. Each number is a fraction of the mileage. If you add them all up, you get 10. so the long run is 3/10ths of total mileage, the 1's are 1/10th, and the 2's are 2/10ths. So say you want to run 25mpw. 25/10 =2.5. So for your long run, you'd do 3x2.5=7.5 miles. You don't have to follow it exactly of course, but it's a good rough guideline. I personally prefer to have longer long runs, so I add a couple of miles to that.

I agree that a 25 mpw is good for a first half marathon training. It's easy to work up to 25 mpw on 4 days of running which leaves you plenty of X-training or rest days. I'd build up to 3 days of 5 to 6 miles and then one long run a week. 2 of the shorter runs can be easy runs and the other could be a tempo run. As the HM approaches slowly increase (.5 to 1 mile/wk) your long run to 12 miles.

Jim

I started training for my first half after I had been running consistently for about 6 mos - my first marathon was when I had been running consistently for about 1.5 years. It's different for everybody.

If you know you're prone to stress fractures, I would venture to suggest that a 6 day a week running program isn't the best for you. 4 or 5 days would probably be better.

Hal Higdon has some good plans based on 5 days a week for the half (and other distances too).

That's what I've been thinking. I'm just too worried about running 6 days. I was looking at Hal's plan recently and was thinking of adding some to it so I could run closer to 13 before the half. It makes me nervous to think of only doing 10 before hand.
Do most plans only have you running up to 10 in training for a half?

What if you used Hal's plan, backed it up a couple of weeks and two weeks after the 10 mile run you went 13?
Or, check out Hal's Marathon program and do the novice program up to 13 miles.