Ok..so, I am basically a beginner. I used to run more, but life, babies, blah blah, injury, i stopped. I know what to do, how to do it. I have the right shoes, a treadmill, a jogging stroller. everything but motivation...

so..I am following a run/walk program right now, and hope to be able to run 3 miles without walking in about 5 or 6 weeks maybe..not sure..

i am looking at a half for my goal, and i am thinking chicago october 1st...

4 months is enough time right? I guess i am just looking for a little push...

I'm surprised you don't have a HRM, a Garmin as well Mary; all running essentials, so Im told :(
Four months is enough time, but if you don't have the motivation I wouldn't even bother.

when i was running regularly, before i had my son, i DID have a HRM, but i gave it to someone to use when i was hurt and wasnt using it. Thanks for the vote... :)

You can do it!! :D

Try to make your goal of running 3 solid miles in the next 5-6 weeks as planned. Then take the time to maintain this and increase one run a mile longer every 10 days or so. I was going to say each week increase your longer run, but that may be too much. If you can do this, you'll hit 13.1 before October 4th.

Keep those longer distant runs slow and easy. Let your body work through the miles and get used to the distance. It will come.

Check out Hal Higdon's Novice HalfM plan here. It's a good one. I have trained Hal Higdon's Marathon plan for my marathon and it worked for me. This one looks good.

I'd put this into play once you've hit a solid 3 mile run.

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Mary!!!!

I'm not too sure on how to take :- "Thanks for the vote"
Either way Mary, you asked "How long for a Half marathon? SERIOUSLY.."
I was trying to give you a serious answer. If your heart is not in it and you lack motivation I'll say again DON'T BOTHER.

In some ways I agree with Phar. Motivation leads you to sign up, not the other way around. But it is a goal to work toward. I think you can do it, but I wouldn't sign up until the race closes in. It probably won't help with motivation this far out, unless you're one of the few that really thinks in the long term.

I asked for opinions, and i was just saying thanks for yours. I didnt argue with you, or act offended....and i got it the first time you told me dont bother. ;)

Well, i went out on my run yesterday with a new purpose, and really surprised myself. I am doing a run/walk right now, but I felt really strong and definitely could have run longer than the intervals i had set for my watch. I just stuck with them for now, just to make sure i didnt wear myself out and couldnt finish the 3 miles ...i have a bad habit of going too fast...I have 18 weeks until the race and now I have no doubt I can do it...

Thanks for your replies! :wavey:

Just my $.02 but I think it's foolish for new or returning runners to pick a race as long and grueling as a half marathon as their goal w/o at least somewhat mastering the shorter distances. I don't think 4 months is a long enough time for a new or return runner to build a base to properly race a half.

I see your point in this. I believe she has to have a decent base set forth in the next few weeks to determine if the halfM is best for her in October.
It could depend on what goals are being set for the half too. Run the it to race it...run it to finish...run it to gallow/run, just put the miles in??? I guess it all depends on what a person sets. It could be a good goal to set just to hit a 13.1 in any kind of way to keep a focus.
My first race ever was a halfM with 7 months of solid training (building up from 3 miles runs...every so many days). I was hitting my longer distances within 4-5 months time.

:1:

so how long is long enough? what sort of base do you think someone should have?

According to the Indianapolis mini-marathon schedule to train, it takes 13 weeks to train.
They highly recommend the run program is only for those who have been running 3-4 times per week, 30-45 minutes each outing, for at least 6 months. Otherwise consider the run/walk or walking program.
A guy I worked with starting running in a January and ran the NYC marathon 18 months later. Several stress fractures later, of course. Plus after the NYC marathon he was sidelined for 6 months while his stress fractures heeled. He's still not in great condition and only has run 5ks since.

I think 25mpw for a good 8-12 weeks before beginning a training schedule for a half.