I'm getting ready for a half marathon in two months and have been slowly building up my milage while keeping my speed the same. (up to about 7 miles/day @ 7min/mile)

I was reading through one of Hal Higdon's training plans in which he recommended doing 2 hour easy runs within the first couple weeks of his plan as the long run. Unless I walk some of it, this is actually longer than the 13.1 miles. Should I slow it down a lot, try and do 2 hours at my normal pace anyway, or throw out his plan and stick to what I've been doing?

I've done a couple of halfs before and would really like to improve my time. (e.g. I'm not looking for a plan to "finish" but one that will help me finish faster.)

Any help is appreciated.

I would slow down to a 7:30-8:00 pace.

Thanks MED,

I did a 12 mile run at a 7:30 pace last night. Felt good all the way through. I think I could have gone a little longer (or faster), but was loosing daylight. But the good news is that I'm feeling more confident about the race - and I still have 10 weeks left to get my speed up.

I've never been able to slow down my long runs to the pace the 'experts' suggest. 30-sec per mile slower than my daily bread-n-butter running is about as slow as I can get legs to go, but even then, most miles are more like 15-20 secs slower.
Just remember this bj, long slow distance makes a long slow runner. :o

Thanks for the advice jrjo,

I plan on doing speed work a couple of days this week and some longer tempo runs. My hope is to increase the speed of my long runs and increase the distance of my tempos so that eventually, they are one and the same.

I really was trying hard yesterday to keep from going faster. My stride just didn't feel natural. :|

sounds like you need a tougher training plan...maybe higdon has an intermediate or advanced plan that would work better for you...

nothing wrong with running a comfortable 2 hour run though...even if this puts you well beyond the 13.1 mileage...

that said, i'd probably figure out what my goal pace for the race was going to be and start putting incorporating that into my plan for my long runs...you might also try running few of your miles later in you long run at that goal pace..

whatever you decide - good luck with both your training and your race!

---
megawill