ive kind of been inspired by everyones race and running reports and i feel like i need something to train for. and i dont mean a 5 or 10 K...

i happened across the online registration for the silver comet half last night and im wondering if i could pull it off. my "running" of recent has been more of a walk/run and only once or twice a week. last summer, when i was running regularly, i was able to get in the swing of things pretty quickly, but i dont know if i can do it again this year. i feel like if im gonna do it, this would be a good one to start with, not only because its local, but ive run on the path before and its pretty easy (at least for a mile or two).

so what say you? the race is on oct 30, so that gives me not quite 3 1/2 months to train. in the rough guestimates ive done, i think its not impossible, but am i setting my sights to high?

Could you run it? No.

Could you do it? Yes. You would probably have to walk a good portion of it. You will also notice a lot more soreness then if you had been training for it.

Personally, I think you should wait. Train for a 10k in the fall and do the one with Sonny in the Spring.

What kind of milege base do you have right now? That's the big question. If I'm correct, you're just getting back into it. Personally, I think you can build up to "do" a HalfM by October 30th. You may not complete the entire race running it, but you could complete it all the same. It really depends on what kind of commitment you make with your training and what your goals are. If your goals are to run the entire thing, you need to set a workable schedule and get those long runs in there each week. I think it would be hard work...VERY hard work to train to run it this close to the race date. This is my opinion and I don't want to see you having an experience where you get discouraged. It all depends on your goals though. Do you want to race it, run it or just complete it?

IMO, a 10K sounds more reasonable and something that you could do with success.

I hope this helps. I want to encourage and support you. I also don't want to see you hurt or discouraged.

Again, it's a matter of what your goals are with that HalfM.

Let us know Crazy. :D

I haven't seen a lot of your race reports - my fault - so I'd like to know -

- When was your last race?

- What has been your training like of late?

- What has been your longest race, and what has been your longest run?

Take this with a serious grain of salt - after all this is a message board and no one here knows that much about you. I probably know less than anyone, because I don't generally follow the run reports...

Could you do it? Sure

Should you do it? No

There is certainly something to be said for being able to say you finished a half marathon or full marathon. Most runners now automatically believe that you need to do long races to get a sense of accomplishment or to prove you are a real runner. I disagree with that, but I can't change the current running culture.

Personally, I trained seriously for 2 1/2 years before my first half marathon, and as a competitive runner it was way too soon and I wasn't prepared for it. It really set my running back significantly to try it. I have mixed feelings about people who are less concerned about being competitive, but want the accomplishment of finishing the longer races. It is an admirable goal, but I just don't know if that is the best goal to pick for your long term success and enjoyment as a runner. It really just depends on the person and what you are after from your running.

I'll say wait out a little, be patient and try for some shorter races this fall. You need to bring your mileage up first of all and that takes time. It was about close to 4 years of running with 2 years of serious training before I attempted my first half earlier this year. However, like what everyone else has said, it all depends on what your goals are. You can still do it but the experience wouldn't be the same (may be alot less enjoyable!) then if you waited for the spring and spent some time training for it.

i ran my first half without having run anything but 5Ks. my mileage was most likely only 20mpw - max. i followed a beginners program (Hal Hidgon) and managed to run it in 2:12 but it was a very flat course and it was a cold spring day. (ideal running for me)

it really didn't teach me anything other than ultimate respect for the full marathon. i barely walked the next day, and day after that. i did feel some sense of pride in that i finished and never really stopped to walk at all.

there was such a huge difference in how i ran and recovered from the half i ran this spring, after another 2 years of running. it was a different experience and one i'd like to repeat in an effort to better my time.

i really agree with the others here in saying you might want to work that base up a bit and even do some gut it out speed work days to up your endurance. i think the whole "half" experience would be a more positive one if you would.

hey, i ran my very first 10K this spring (finally) after 4 years of running. they are hard to find and i was really challenged by those 6.2 miles, it was a great longer, but not too long, racing distance.

good luck crazyfrog. i'm glad you're looking to get out there again.

I'm going to disagree with the majority of these posters here.

Sure, you can do it. But you will have to put your mind to it and select a program pretty soon.

There are several good beginner 12 - 15 week programs on the internet. Just do a search on google or yahoo. The only problem I have with Hal Higdon's approach is he plans your longest run to be only 10 miles. I would prefer your longest training run to be 12 - 14 miles prior to the marathon.

There is nothing wrong with run/walking if you need to. You'll have less chance of injury using that method on your first 1/2 marathon. The Silver Comet will give you a chance to gauge other 1/2 marathons by.

Go by a Barnes & Nobles bookstore and look through Jeff Galloway's "Book on Running", 2nd edition. He has on pages 115 - 125 several half marathon training programs from simply trying to finish to a 1:29 goal using a 15 week schedule. You can use his schedule with or without the walk breaks, whichever you are more comfortable with.

But IMHO you have time to train for the SCT half, and I might be willing to pace you on it.

Good luck, whichever way you decide to go.

Could you do it? Sure Should you do it? No
:1: I ran my first half four months after starting running. Equivalent to your current base. Everyone told me not to, which of course meant I had to. I was severely underprepared, undertrained, and had no idea what to expect. Did I finish? Yes. Was it a painful, awful experience? YES. Wait. If you can only run/walk now, it will not be fun. Consider this: do you want that kind of race to be your first half marathon?

Actually, if she decides to use the run/walk method correctly, even in the 1/2 marathon she will do much better than many others who blindly decide simply to run a 1/2 marathon and try running the entire distance the first time.
I ran my first 1/2 in New Orleans about 4 months after I began training for my first marathon. I did not use the run/walk breaks on that one and felt fine, but I also saw quite a few people using the run/walks and some of them beat me into the finish.
If she puts her mind to it and starts VERY soon, she has enough time to successfully complete the 1/2 marathon without negative baggage. She already has a running background even if it's not running 50 mile weeks so she knows what to expect if she undertakes the training. And as long as she trains properly she will do fine on the SCT 1/2 marathon.

...If she puts her mind to it and starts VERY soon, she has enough time to successfully complete the 1/2 marathon without negative baggage. She already has a running background even if it's not running 50 mile weeks so she knows what to expect if she undertakes the training. And as long as she trains properly she will do fine on the SCT 1/2 marathon.
Of course she can run/walk a marathon. I have (not by choice) and so can anyone. I was inferring that she wanted to run it and not just complete it.
I still say going from run/walking 1-2x a week to a half in 3.5 months will not make for a good, memorable experience. Nor will it be fun. It will also open her up to injuries galore.
frog - you want to do it, go ahead. I wish I had listened to everyone and waited for my first half. It was truly a miserable experience, and I was running it off of 25mpw. A learning experience, true, but awful. I can still see the finish photos in my head, me bawling my eyes out, cut up and bloody. 8O

:1:
Kobyj hit the nail on the head.

There has been some interesting responses to this. I started training for my first half marathon (this past April) after only running for six monthes. My base of running when I started the 1/2 training was about 20 MPW. My highest running weeks for this were around 30 MPW. I had a great half, it was a wonderful experience. I did train slowly and conservatively though, I started in January for the April 2 half marathon.

Elkid, I can't get my quote thing to work, so I have to respond to your comment about if she wanted to run the 1/2 instead of run/walking it she would not be ready.

She has the time to train to run it the entire distance if she wishes. She has some options, depending on how she wants to approach the half marathon. She can run it, run/walk it, or just walk it if the race time permits it. However, she can realistically have a positive experience if she trains correctly for the half.

My first half marathon was only 4 months after I started training for a marathon and I didn't have any negative experiences with it. It greatly depends upon how well prepared someone is and there are a lot of factors that go into that definition of being prepared. I don't think it's cut and dry for everyone.