I'm looking for a few good updated books on marathon training. Any suggestions on where should I start? Thanx!

Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide by Hal Higdon is what I used for mine.

I have been reading "Daniel's Running Formula" by Jack Daniels. This book was recommended by Runaroundsue a while back. While he covers a distances, he puts a certain emphasis on the Marathon.

A couple I heard kudos for time and time again are "The Competitive Runner's Handbook", Bob Glover and also "Advanced Marathoning" by Pete Pfitzinger.

I've also gleaned much from reading biographies of great marathoners... Rodgers, Shorter, Beardsley... even though the books might not be training guides per se, reading them does illustrate the mental and physical requisites for being a top marathoner.

woot!! what a great combo deal! $25 for my two favorite books. "road racing for serious runners" is also excellent. I know alot have turned to "advanced marathoning", but Pfitz covers much of the marathon stuff in the "road racing....." version.
I have "advanced marathoning" (haven't read it yet), but one thing that Pfitz will cover in this book that I haven't seen before is how to run back-to-back marathons.

both of these are excellent resources...there isn't a better general or more comprehensive reference than Glover's book...However, I think his training schedules have grown a little too light on the mileage side for my liking over the years....I use Pfitzinger plan in my last marathon....and can confirm that it is a very, very rough regemin...but it does produce results if you can stick with it..
I'd advise reading as many resources as you can and melding the best parts of each into your own plan...
---
megawill

Thanks guys for your suggestions...I will probably aim to get a couple of books..Daniels and Pfitzinger sound appealing...I currently have an earlier version (borrowed from a friend) of Rob Sleamaker's Serious Training for Endurance Athletes Lots of great stuff on how to structure and periodize your training, design your own training plan, and sports nutrition. In fact that's how I designed my summer training plan for my fall races The only thing is that it's quite general and I was thinking getting a few books that would be more specific to running particularly marathons so that I can incorporate sport-specific workouts into my overall plan. Thanks again...I will be rummaging the local running stores and the bookstore for the next couple of days... :)

I used Galloway's book for my first and then Greg and I used Higdon's book for my subsequent ones.

No one real book. Lots of them are good. I am due to read a new running book.

I have Hal Higdon's book, if anyone wants it. I'll even pay the freight