For someone consistently running 20 mpw, but with consistently only doing 5-6 mile long runs (5 more so than 6 really), is 7 weeks for a first half pushing it too much and not a good idea????

As y'all know I've been yo-yoing about doing a half, and a full, and there's a local full in the spring I was thinking about doing. For some reason, I just realized there is a very close half on Nov. 18 but wish I would've found it earlier.....

Plus, if I decide to do the full, the training program would start on Dec. 2. 2 weeks after 7 weeks of training for the half.

Is it a bad idea to even think about this half? Thanks.

If you treat it as a long run it should be fine. Look at Hal Higdon's novice program. You start at 6 miles for long, but within 7 or 8 weeks I think you're up in that neck of the woods.

It would put you in great position for the full marathon.

But would it be too many weeks training and then put me at the wrong place in the long run training for the full on April 1?

Well, the half is in 7 weeks, so you'd just build up your distance to around 10-12 miles for a long run before the half with a rest week or 1.5 week before the half.
Then, you can recover a week, step back a bit on the long run to 8's and then step into the full marathon training program and you'd have a better base for the full marathon than you do now and you don't need to stress about the base training after the half if you keep running.
The question is: What training program are you using and what does it want you to have as a base? The answer will tell you what you need to do between now and the start of marathon training.
Figure that you build the long runs in a progression like this for the half:
W1: 6
W2: 7
W3: 8
W4: 6
W5: 9
W6: 10
W7: 7
This assumes that at the end of Week 8 you would have the half and that week 7 is not the half. It jumps, but if you're using this as a longer training run and just run the race rather than race the race, then you'll be fine. This would all be building for the marathon.

I agree with Pug. And you can adjust the marathon training program. Do the half Molly in preperation for the full.