I am looking for some help for my teenage daughter. She is 17 right now, and has had acne since she was 16. At first, I was under the impression that the acne would clear itself up, but now it is clear that this is not the case, and the acne is actually getting worse, as well as spreading to the neck and back, I think she needs medication to treat acne. This is something she has been asking about for a while now. We have made an appointment with our family doctor. Perhaps it will be a little easier if we go in with some information. What do you think is the best drug for acne?

If you have tried over the counter medications against acne, and these have no had any effect, then I think going to the doctor for prescription drugs is a good idea. I am sure that you are aware that some of these drugs have heavy side effects - some can cause birth defects, and getting pregnant while on acne medication is strictly prohibited. Isotretinoin is a very powerful anti-acne drug, but depending on the severity of your daughter's acne, she may not need that.

I know that I would never have gone to the doctor accompanied by my mother at 17, so you two must either be very good friends as well as mom and daughter, or you are being overbearing! Why not wait and see what the doctor has to say? We can all list the acne drugs we know, but at the end of the day your doctor knows best, as he or she can actually have a look at the location and severity of the acne, and make the best decision.