I read in one article that Omega 3 fatty acids were well tolerated and improved patients with bipolar disorder. I also read that fish oils help maintain the elasticity of artery walls, prevent blood clotting, reduce blood pressure and stabilize heart rhythm. Since I have son with bipolar it made me wonder could it help him. I would like to hear if anyone tried to treat bipolar disorder with fish oil. I would appreciate any info, because I still do not have opportunity to ask our doctor for this.

There was study as a step in the right direction, treating underlying cause of bipolar in a natural way with fish oil. The goal was to replace the standard practice of medicating as the first step in treatment. An implication of this study is that the fish oil acts on a physiological level to balance a biochemical deficiency. This happens moving toward the molecular model of psychiatry as opposed to merely treating symptoms. The best is that fish oil has none of the drugs' side effects. The results are not surprising to those who practice orthomolecular medicine. The brain, and nervous system in general has a large fatty acid component, so replenishing deficiencies in this particular essential nutrient is likely to help restore normal function, especial with bipolar. In my own practice, I find that lower doses of fish oil will work when combined with other supplements. Those other supplements could be vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that are often deficient in these cases. They work together to help restore balance in bipolar.