My 15 year old son was diagnosed with JME about a year ago.  The neurologist told us that if he takes meds for 2 years he will basically be cured (less than 3% chance seizures will recur).  I have not read that anywhere else - cannot find any documentation that says that.

Has anyone else been told this by neurologist?

This I have never heard of, as far as the "cure" your neurologist speaks of.  My sister has Juvenile Myclonic Epilepsy and has had it around 30 years.  If there was a cure, she would have had it.  She has been on an array of anti-seizure medications for this type of epilepsy over the years and it's taken some time to regulate what meds work and which ones don't.  I am unsure why your neurologist would say that 2 years on medications would cure him is not accurate.  I would question him further and ask for evidence to support his statement. 

I'm 14 I also have JME and not once has my neurologist said that I am curently taking kepra they told me I would have to be on it for the rest of my life and that if I got off the medication I would have MORE seizures and I would never be able to drive.. So no matter how challenging it is keep your son on his medication !!