After a thorough check done by my ophthalmologist I was diagnosed with a dry eye syndrome. He recommended using eye drops and I don’t know which drops to take. Is there anyone with a similar problem or with experience in using eye drops? Which are the best dry eye drops?

Hi. About a year ago I was told that my eyes were not producing enough tears and that I would have to use artificial tears and eye drops to soothe the dry eye syndrome. I used the combination of Bion Tears and Murine Tears and I was completely satisfied. As you probably already know, there is no perfect substitution for human tears, so we have to accept the second best. In order to achieve the best results, you should combine different dry eye drops. You can use them one after the other (a drop of one and about five minutes later a drop of the other), or you can even combine three different types of eye drops. It would be perfect to avoid the drops that contain preservatives, but that is usually not possible, so you should go for those not containing BAC preservative (benzalkonium chloride) since it can initiate the development of a condition called 'medicamentosa' which is very similar to the kind of irritation caused by dry eyes. But, it all varies from person to person - I never had any problems with Bion Tears, although they contain BAC. The best thing you can do is to consult your ophthalmologist again and he’ll explain the positive and the negative characteristics of particular medicaments. Good luck with your therapy.