I’ve been feeling strange eye soreness lately. At first I thought it had something to do with the fact that I spent about ten hours every day in front of the computer, but now I don’t know what to think anymore. It doesn’t go away and I also feel as if something were in my left eye, some foreign body. Can it be something serious?

The problem ophthalmologists often meet is a vague and unclear description of the symptoms. Eye soreness in your case can be attributed to various eye problems. Sometimes eye soreness is caused by infection, irritation or injury. Foreign object is another possible explanation - although you cannot spot it, this object might be the cause, especially if your eye is experiencing some problems with tears production. Tears are in charge of keeping your eye moist and also in removing any foreign bodies that are small and hard to notice. This symptom can also lead to glaucoma, optic neuritis and iritis. If you suffer from migraines or have problems with sinuses then it is possible that this somehow affects your eye. Corneal abrasions and ulcerations can sometimes be the culprits as well. Home - treatment is not recommended in any of those cases and you will have to talk to your ophthalmologist about the soreness without delay. In the meantime, rest your eyes, do not spend too much time in front of your computer, do not rub your eye if you feel that something might be in it, do not put any drops, creams or ointments before consulting the doctor (use lukewarm water to rinse the eye if necessary).