I have dry eye syndrome and try to keep it under control using eye drops and taking care of my eye hygiene. Three days ago I started sensing a really nasty pain in my left eye, as if something were in. I went to my ophthalmologist immediately, he diagnosed filamentary keratitis and prescribed some antibiotic solutions. What actually is filamentary keratitis and does it have anything to do with my dry eyes?

Filamentary keratitis is usually described as not a disease per se. It is rather a companion of other ocular disorders and it is very probable that filamentary keratitis in your case can be associated with dry eyes syndrome you suffer from. You have fine filaments of epithelium and mucus attached to your cornea. The tear film is damaged due to dry eyes syndrome and your eye looses epithelial cells that in combination with mucus form these filaments that cause discomfort, pain, inflammation etc. Those antibiotic solutions you use cannot comprise the whole therapy. The first thing to be done is physical removal of the filaments. It is usually done with jeweler's forceps and under topical anesthesia. In certain cases it may be necessary to use drugs that will dissolve the filaments - this can take some time, even several months. Even after the successful treatment the reoccurring is possible so be careful to follow the doctor’s instructions concerning your dry eyes.