Good day everyone.

My name is Ashley. A few days ago I had bypass surgery. They let me out of the hospital today. I am very scared because my mom died due to hearth attack and I am scared that this can happen to me.

Doctors told me that I don’t need to be so worried as long as I am under their supervision. I trust them.

But I have one problem. I have trouble sleeping after this surgery.

It hurts me when I am laying on my belly (I am always sleeping on my belly).

Can you please tell me what is the best position to sleep after bypass surgery? Thank you!

Hey. I really hope that your recovery is going fine. Did your doctor gave you any advice? Because this is dangerous and serious operation and he should give you some tips how to behave during recovery. There is nothing wrong and bad while you are sleeping on your tummy. I believe that you can’t sleep because you are nervous. Back on best position to sleep – a few weeks after surgery your chest is healing. So it is the best for you that you sleep on your side. It is good and it is probably the best position. But stomach is also fine :)

Hello there David.

Thank you so much. Maybe I am a little bit scared ( a lot actually) but I can’t help it. I tried to get a nap today and I was laying at my side. I need to tell you that it was really uncomfortable for me.

I was feeling like I am losing my breath, my hearth was like crazy :S

Maybe this is a stress. I tried to sleep on the side last night and still nothing.

Can you tell me is this all in my imagination because I am scared or this position is not good for me?

Hey everyone.

I disagree with you David. There is a reason why Ashley is having problems sleeping on the side. Whenever this surgery happens you may find that you have difficulty sleeping when you are at home and that is normal. First Ashley you need to get rest two times a day, about 40 minutes. Remember that you should not stay in the bed and sleep all day long because you won’t be able to sleep during the night. Now, if you had a traditional open – heart surgery (and I think that you did), you need to AVOID sleeping on your side. This will put tension on your breastbone.

Hey there everyone.

I have to agree with Big Z. You should never sleep on your side because it can harm you. That is why Ashley can’t sleep on the side. It is impossible because it makes a huge pressure.

A lot of people have problems when they are home after surgery and when they need to sleep. You are not the only one.

I know that many patients are advised to sleep in a recliner for the fist a few weeks. That is all until the sternum becomes a little more stable.

When you are lying at your side the pain seems even worse. I suggest you to try sleep on your back.

I would say the best position is whatever works for you. On your back to promote the even pressure over your chest but I was not able to sleep on my back due to the screwed up assembly they did fastening my sternum back together. They left my xiphoid sticking out straight so when I was on my back it made a tent out of my belly skin and was very uncomfortable.

I have been unable to sleep on my back or belly for the 20 years since my surgery and have had to sleep on my side. I turn over many times during the night giving both sides equal time. If I happen to sleep most of the night on one side it's uncomfortable when I awake but not a killer.

So I'd say whatever works best for you.

My husband had a triple bypass and was told only to sleep on his back for 6 weeks. It takes that long to heal.