This is the first time I am posting a message to this forum. I need some help with my husband. He had brain stroke, right side. It affected his left side sensory feeling. About six months after the stroke serious sleep disorders began. Is it possible that stroke damaged sleep centre of his brain. I would also like to know what the basic categories of each sleeping disorder are. Thank you.

I am sorry I am not a doctor, so I can’t tell you if the stroke affected sleep center in your husband’s brain. You should consult specialist about this. However, I can tell you what the common sleeping disorders are. Insomnia is a sleeping disorder that affects almost a quarter of the population. It includes any combination of difficulty with falling asleep, staying asleep, intermittent wakefulness, and early-morning awakening. Things that can contribute to insomnia include: illness, depression, anxiety, stress, poor sleeping environment, caffeine, abuse, alcoholism, heavy smoking, physical discomfort, daytime napping, and certain medical conditions. Sleep Apnea occurs when the muscles at the base of the throat relax during sleep. It results in loud snoring and labored breathing. Causes are commonly alcohol or sedatives before sleep. Narcolepsy, with sleep apnea, is also considered a Hyper-insomnia sleep disorder. The condition affects the sleep/wake mechanisms within the brain and restless leg syndrome is a fairly newly discovered sleeping disorder. It is characterized by sensations in the lower legs that make a person uncomfortable and cause the uncontrollable urge to move the legs in order to relieve the discomfort.