Hello everyone. I've had my bypass surgery finally. I waited very long for this to happen. I was not an urgent case though, but still I was very nervous about this. I’ve been told I will get my surgery done in about a month and it turned out that I had to wait for two more months. I was scared something may go wrong while waiting. Luckily nothing did and I’m ok now. I’m recovering. The only things that bothers me is that I haven’t been able to sleep. What are your experiences when it comes to troubles sleeping after bypass surgery?

Hello everyone. I am also seeking for help because I just can’t go to visit doctors anymore about this issue. I had bypass surgery almost four months ago and I also just can’t sleep. There is no way. I am in my bed and I want to sleep but there is no way. I am worried because I don’t know am I normal and now I am happy because I have found this site and I know that I am not the only one. My doctor told me that I have problem with my psyche and that this is the main reason why I can’t sleep.

Hello there.

Look you are not the only one who are dealing with this problem. I was talking with my friend about this and she told me that it is apparently very common after heart surgery to have problems with sleeping. My friend told me that even now, almost one year after bypass surgery she rarely sleep through a full night. In the first week, when she got out from the hospital she didn’t sleep at all.

It was also very painful so she was blaming the pain because she can’t sleep.

Now she knows that this is very common and she is not worried at all.

I don’t have any personal experience with insomnia but I know that many people complain about this after having a heart surgery. When my aunt had it she hasn not been able to sleep for weeks. I remember she was anxious because of that. That’s the case with many patients who went through this surgery.

Sometimes their insomnia is caused by the affects of anesthesia. Some people can’t sleep because of discomfort which is related to healing process.

Changes in your daily routine is also something that is possibly causing this.

And of course, the stress about the surgery and all.

I’m familiar with this problem. Here is few things what you can do.

1. If you are in pain, take your pain medication half an hour before bedtime.

2. Make yourself comfortable. Arrange the pillows in a way that your body is totally relaxed.

3. Try not to sleep during the day.

4. Try to keep the balance between activity and rest during recovery

5. If you feel restless or anxious like Adria18’s aunt, talk to someone, a family member or your spouse, partner, anyone. You will feel better after sharing your trouble with another person.

I hope these things will help.

Those are some nice tips Alan. I would just add that it would also be good for them to avoid caffeine (such as chocolate, coffee, tea, and colas), especially in the evenings.

Maybe it wouldn’t be a bad idea to listen to some relaxing music.

If I were you I would ask my partner to give me a back rub. I always fall asleep easily after those.

And you know what else helps- relaxing showers. Take one right before you go to bed.

And what’s even more important of all, you need to get into a bedtime routine. Determine the time when you go to bed, maybe follow the same rituals every evening. That will let your body know it is time to sleep.

This is great seeing so many posts and responses about bypass surgery. I originally found this site while looking for information about bypass surgery and other peoples experiences. That was about 7 years ago but until the past few days there have been very few posts about it.

I hung around here because of all the young people's questions and angst about things that just never bothered me at that age. I felt I could help there and still do. It's great to see them asking about things that in my day were out of bounds and we suffered for the lack of information later on in life.

I don't recall having any unusual sleep problems after my surgery except for the discomfort associated with the surgery and the healing process. But that resolved in a few weeks as I healed. I was very happy to get out of the hospital though as nights were pure hell due to the back pain their bed caused me. At home I had a reclining chair which was the best thing during the day and in bed at night the only problems I had were related to the surgery itself. They left my xiphoid sticking straight out away from my body so it looked like a miniature erection under my belly skin. That was and still is very uncomfortable. At first I couldn't sleep on my side because the split up the middle and the wire laces would hurt due to the deformation of my rib cage caused by laying on my side. Sleeping on my back was uncomfortable because that xiphoid was being pressed by my belly skin draped over it. Much of that has gone away or reduced in time. For sleeping now I spend my time alternating sides which has become so routine I don't wake up to do it and I can also sleep on my back for short periods now.

Hey everyone. I have noticed that this site lately offers so many good advice that are helpful about bypass. I had my first bypass surgery 17 days ago. I am 28 years old and I was shocked when this happened to me. Njoynlife, I also had trouble sleeping after this but my doctors told me that I am just cared, that this is all in my head. I couldn’t sleep on my side, I couldn’t sleep on my back. It was so hard. It was also very uncomfortable. Sometimes it is uncomfortable now, but less than before. Do you have any advice how to sleep?

Good day. How do you guys feel today?

Something came across my mind while I was reading this topic so I decide to ask you this. I was wondering are there any chances that medications which you are using for your heart after bypass surgery can make you sleepy. I believe that they can. You should check this with your doctor.

Also, I do believe that you need to walk a little bit after bypass surgery just to get a little bit tired so you can sleep much better.

I believe that you are stressed as well and that is just one more reason why you have problem with sleeping.

I can understand you being scared at your age. You certainly don't expect to have this at your age. I was expecting it because it ran in my family so I was glad to have had it and to have survived it. I did discover quite by accident that the BP pills they were giving me were too much. I was having a breathing problem when I went to bed which was very bothersome. I ran out of one of the pills before my mail order refill arrived. For those evenings the breathing problem went away and I was able to lie down without being short of breath. The first day I took another pill it came back. I stopped taking that pill and then had quite an argument with my doctor over dropping that one.

The side or back problem is a mechanical problem that only you can solve. You just have to find whatever position works best for you. I found I was generally more comfortable in my reclining chair than when I was in bed so maybe finding a way to prop yourself up a bit might help.

Well I have never heard of this site till recently. I’ve been visiting many forums in the last few years cause my whole family has heart problems, so it was years ago when I decided to learn more about it.
But back then I used google to find sites about heart diseases and I never ran into this one.
And in the last month, whenever I typed something in my browser (health related) I had this site offered pretty high in my search results. So I thought I should register and see if I can find something useful, and I did.

Hi my father just had his bypass surgery, and he is also suffering from same problem of sleep disorder. We conducted a sleep cycle test on him for sleep apnea and the AHI came out to be high can someone tell me what can be done

Hi I'm 10 weeks post surgery now and basically not sleeping at all my GP prescribed me sleeping pills which I am reluctant to use but tried one last night and still haven't slept a wink I've tried all the suggested relaxation techniques but nothing seems to work hopefully things will improve over time if not think I'll be needing psychiatric treatment as I'm going daft due to the lack of sleep

I also still cannot sleep 5 months after bypass surgery am in constant piain in lower legs painkillers do not help hospital doctor told me it can take a year to 5 years settle my life has no quality