Greetings everyone.

I am very worried about my granddad. He is 76 years old and today he needs to go to the bypass surgery. I am scared for him. I know that this surgery is not that dangerous, but he is old and weak. I really want him to be fine after this.

Now we are waiting in the hospital for this surgery. I am searching for the best advices on my mobile phone and I found this site.

I hope that you can help me and let me know what to do while waiting for bypass surgery?

Do you have any experience?

I don't think there is much to do but wait and if you are with him just support him. I had a 6x bypass 20 years ago next month and there was plenty going on with the tests and prep work they were doing so I was never bored. I went into the hospital on Thursday afternoon and my operation was scheduled for Friday morning. The had me going fo ultrasounds and xrays. Showers with a special soap and then the little girl who gave me a full body shave so I didn't have time to get bored. Friday morning it was postponed until noon because they had some emergency that took the operating room or my surgeons.

I'm 75 now and I feel great. Make sure he goes to cardiac rehab afterward if they want him to. That helped me tremendously.

I'm sure they have improved the operation quite a bit since I was there.

Please let me know how things go.

Hey there njoynlife.
I haven’t expect answer so quick. Your case is really specific. I need to tell you that I admire you. 6x bypass?? You are a true hero. My granddad never had any operation like this. I believe that this is serious surgery for him and I can see that he is scared. My first question when I found out this was: “Why now? He is 76 years old and this shouldn’t happen”. But I can’t blame no one. Yes, I was pretty sure that we can only wait. Doctors told me that bypass surgery is going to happen for two days. I believe to those doctors but still… I am afraid that this hearth is weak. That is killing me and I don’t know how to sit and wait :/

Two days gives you plenty of time to worry but I can assure you they have this operation well practiced by now. I'm also certain they have better methods than they did 20 years ago. Not to make light of it but they are good at it.

As for me I wasn't the one doing the worrying but my wife was a wreck. I was surprisingly calm through it all. This is the only operation I ever had after tonsils when I was 10. When I was coming to after the operation my wife and one son were there. My wife said seeing me with all the tubes and stuff still in me really bothered him. I don't remember them being there I was having too much fun seeing what it took to get the nurses attention. When I came to I discovered there was something down my throat breathing for me and I couldn't swallow because of it. Then I tried to move one hand and discovered it was tied down. Then the nurse came running over to say "don't fight it". My wife said that happened while she was there. Later I had fun seeing how much or little I could move before she came running over. I got it down to where all I had to do was lift my index finger to get her over. I kept going in and out like sleeping. I don't know if they were controlling that to ease the discomfort of having that tube down my throat but I was certainly happy when they came to remove it later in the day.

Why now? Well you can look at it like clogged plumbing, the blockage builds up over time. I know they like to make you think exercise and eating right will prevent it but I don't believe that. Mine was hereditary as far as I'm concerned. My father before me, his father before him and every one of his sisters. It skipped my sister but got both of her sons. My father spent 20 years walking a mail route every day with that big leather bag on his shoulder. I think he was well exercised. BTW I was within a few weeks or maybe even days of being exactly the same age as my father when it happened. I was 3 weeks shy of being 56, he had his heart attack in the summer of 1953 and he turned 56 in July but I don't know the exact date of his attack.

Anyway, I'll keep checking if there is any more you want to say/ask.

Hey. You are so right and you don’t know how worried I am. Today my granddad supposed to have surgery but doctor came today and told us that we should wait. I asked them why and they told me that they need to prepare him better because he didn’t have any problems so far. I mean, I do understand this and I think that they do know what they are doing, but this waiting time is going to kill and drive crazy my grandpa. He is not that kind of man who is going to wait something that happens. And, I was wondering what means that they need to prepare him better for surgery? Especially because I do know that those surgery methods are much better than before.
Thank you so much, you are an amazing support.

Hey you two.

Just like njoynlife told you, you can’t do a lot of things but wait this surgery to happen. I know what is the feeling when they keep delay this surgery but I believe that they do know what is the best for your grandpa. I know that patients suffering a myocardial infraction while they are waiting for the treatment. But trust me I believe that two or three days are not that long. What about those people who are waiting for six months for example?  Try to cheer up your grandpa as much as you can because he can very easily to go into depression because of this. Good luck and tell us what is going on.

Keep in touch!

Hey.

Well, the most horrible thing is to wait for the surgery! Especially when your granddad needs to go to the surgery for the first time and especially because he is older. Here is what you can do to calm your granddad. For example, tell the nurse to give him some medication that will help him to sleep. Also, you can arrange pillows in some comfortable position for him. Don’t let him to nap a lot during the day. Remember to balance activity with his resting before surgery. Talk to him all the time because I suppose that he is nervous a lot. Don’t let him to drink caffeine, tea or to eat chocolate. Play some relaxing music to him. Rub his back. That is what you can do  :)

I wish him all the best!

Hey there. Well, like others told you there is no that much things that you can do while you are waiting bypass surgery with your grandpa. So far I think that he went to the surgery and I hope that he is fine. I remember when my husband had this surgery. I don’t know who was more crazy – him or me. He was waiting for this surgery 7 or 8 days. Every day he was more nervous and I couldn’t do nothing. I was just sitting and wait. But trust me, talking with him helped him a lot to relax. I was reading him, we were talking about ordinary things. Being with person who is sick and who waits for the surgery is the best thing that you can do for him (or her). Good luck!