Hi, I am a 20 years old guy, and research some sleeping disorders. I want to know more about sleep paralysis.

Hi, I am fighting against this. Sleep paralysis is a condition in which someone, most often lying in a supine position, about to drop off to sleep, or just upon waking from sleep realizes that he is unable to move. In this condition patient have some halucinations concerning alien abductions or something like pure evil presence. Aside from many of the very disturbing features of the experience itself the phenomenon is quite benign. I am trying to avoid supine position and this thing still happens to me but much less than before.

Isn't it crazy. You know I just realized that the other day that when I lay on my back that that's when it happens. I thought things like this happens to everyone, but as I found out my boyfriend never has experienced it. I have gotten that since I was little. Sometimes I'll wake myself out of it which is extremely hard. In the summer I bugged my cousin out by whispering her name while this was happening. I could see her watching tv. I don't know if my eyes were open fully for her to realize I was looking at her.

My doctor told me that when you are asleep and go into REM Sleep (the dreaming stage) your brain makes your body paralysed so you don't act out your dreams.

Sleep paralysis is a result of waking in the middle of the REM stage and the body doesn't get the signal to wake from the brain. You don't have to be supine, it happens to me lying on my side most often. It's possibly related to Sleep apnea, which I have, and narcolepsy, which I don't, as well as other possibilities--they don't really know enough about it. My doctor asks me about Straterra every time I mention it, and makes me think there may be some relation there, too, but he doesn't know. Maybe there should be a study.

This site stinkls to comercialism ans blatant greediness.
I wonder what Hypocrates would have thought about its philosophy.

jr