Users comments and reviews on article Convalescence and recovery after gallbladder surgery by MariAnne

The article did not address the problem of weight gain after removal of gall bladder. Also, it seems that removing the gall bladder will have an enormous impact on the function of our liver, pancreas and spleen? This article seems to sugar coat, and or skirt those issues?

I was not aware that there was an issue of weight gain associated with removing the gall bladder? I don't think that there was anything like that with anyone who I know who has had theirs removed. Where dyou get that idea?

Thanks You answered all my questions. My main concern was diet and bowl movements.

I HAD MY G BLADDER OUT AUG 09. UNFORTUNATELY I HAD COMPLICATIONS, NOW AFTER 3. 5 MONTHS IM FEELING FINE EXCEPT FOR ONE THING I CAN EAT SOMETHING AND WITHIN 2 HOURS IM IN THE LOO. DOES NOT HAPPEN EVERY DAY.

good info

I had laprascopic surgery (gall bladder removal) 5 days ago. I am experiencing swelling in my rear lower back area, is this normal?

I am having surgery on the 11th of Feb 2010 and want to find help in dealing with life after the surgery

I hope this article will help

I had my GB out on 28JAN10. I still have intermittent pain and bloating after eating. BM's are fairly normal, occassional diarrhea. My overall impression of surgery was good. Recoup time from lap surgery was far better than I expected. My largest complaint is the fatigue and insomnia I am now having. I've never had an issue with sleep before and while I am exhausted, I cannot sleep more than 3 hours at night. Does anyone else have issue with sleep after GB surgery?

I've been told that after my forthcoming gall bladder removal operation that I'll be going home the same day. When I mentioned this to a friend in Germany, he was shocked and said his sister-in-law had spent 5 days in hospital and was still suffering. Is it one of those situations where each individual case will be different? Although I'm 60, I'm relatively fit, use the gym and still run, and am not overweight. Anything I can do in advance to prepare for the operation. Thanks

I had a Lap.Cholecystectomy carried out in November and have also been suffering from Insomnia since the op. I have been prescribed sleeping pills and without them I either get no sleep or at best a couple of hours. GP checked some bloods but all came back normal. I can't stay on sleeping tabs for much longer. Has anyone been in the same postition?

After 3 abdominal surgeries in the past 2 years, (2 laps, 1 open), I have some experience in recovery. If you fall into the small group that had open surgery for gallbladder removal, then it will take the 4+ weeks for recovery. Keep pen/paper by your pain meds and keep track of when you take them. Stay ahead of the pain for at least the first 7-14 days, then maybe start thinking about waiting for the pain to tell you to take the meds.

For those who had lap gallbladder removal, also stay ahead of the pain for the first few days. After you are released to go home, the more upright you are, the less residual CO2 gas pains you'll have. Since the incisions are belly button level and higher, walking will be possible, and walking, as well as belching, will help relieve the gas pains. Find a comfortable chair to recline and relax.

I was concerned about what to eat after surgery. Everyone is going to be different on what they can tolerate, but don't go out and eat your favorite mexican food right away. Start with water, apple or white grape juice. If that stays down and doesn't cause any issues, then try some chicken soup broth and a few crackers. Other ok foods to eat: bananas, rice, applesauce, toast, mashed potatoes -- plain, pretzels, more chicken soup with noodles. Eat small amounts and give your body a chance to accept it. Stay away from dairy, red meat, fried food. I was told to wait on salads as well, until my liver adjusts to not having the gallbladder. We initially will experience loose stools, and the lettuce would probably result in a "colon-blow". I haven't tried salads yet, so I can't say for sure.

Hope this helps some.

I had my gallbladder removed one week ago, by day four I have had constant mausea. I can't function. I can not work, care for my children or my household. My doctor said this is not a normal side effct, but I have read a lot of posts on this site with similar symptoms. I feel horrible and will be going to my doctor in two days. PLEASE give me any advice or suggestions if anyone had heard of severe nausea after this surgery. I would of NEVER had it if I knew this was the outcome. I had a lot of abdominal cramps and a low functioning gallbladder. Yet, was better than this pain I have now. Please help. The nausea is constant no matter what I eat/drink and I am on very strong antinausea meds that are not helping. Please help.

I am 13 days post gall bladder surgery (England). I suffered 2-3 days soreness and one incident of shoulder pain which I succesfully treated with a hot water bottle. I have some tightness and discomfort on the left side of my abdomen and some instability in my digestion but nothing major. I have been extremely tired and when feeling better have probably done too much which set me back for a cople of days. Day 13 today and not feeling too bad at all but have been advised to take a further 21 days from work, I work with children who have challenging behaviour and have to use physical intervention. I am a 46 yr old female. My apetite after the op was depressed but no more than recovering from any other illness, flu for instance. I did read up prior to the surgery, mostly English articles, and this is the first I have read about liver and spleen problems, I have heard nothing about weight related problems andhope these dont exsist! I was incredibly anxious before the operation, in my experience feel it went well and the pain and discomfort was no where near as bad as I anticipated :-) I have found reading other people's comments before and after my op very helpful. Hope this helps any one else who is about to undergo this surgery. If there are any changes or new findings as I recover I will deliver an updated post.

I am 12 days post op from outpatient gallbladder surgery. This was a minimally invasive procedure. I was have daily nausea, normally in the mornings. I am a relatively healthy 48yr male, hi physical daily activity, athlete, my stomach never knew what time of day it was (i could eat BBQ for breakfast with no heartburn or reflux). So the nausea became very irritating. After many many tests the doctors (yes doctors) finally decided that my GB was functioning at only 7%, thus suggested removal. To be short, the surgery went well, a heck of a lot of pain in recovery, had to hit me with delauded so many time my BP went down to 80/40, kinda scary since i have a high tolerance for pain. Released 3 hours after surgery and at home that night i was moving around pretty good and joking with friends. I didnt take any meds until the third day, the abdomen pain was intense right at my belly button. I went through way too many meds. By the fifth day i was dying to go back to the gym (my manorexia was kicking in hard). I did go, took it easy, but still made my belly button area very sort again. Didnt do meds, tried ice packs, didnt really work... The small scars on my side never hurt and seem to be healing fine, the belly button scar is another story, its a little swollen, like an egg, and somewhat hard. Its still sore today. I'm trying to be good and take it easy in the gym but that is the worst part for me. Call me silly, but i miss the endorphins. Its where i relieve stress. maybe that is why i am feeling a little depressed. I've been eating normally from day one, once i got my appetite back that is on day 2. I went back to work 4 days post op, maybe stupid, but it isnt physically demanding. I decided making my coworkers miserable was more fun for me that sitting at home feeling useless and depressed. The bloating that i had pre op is seemingly lessened in my upper abdomen area. It seems not to be so tight there. If this silly egg bump on my belly would go away i'd feel better. I guess i have to live with the fact that i will be missing a few upcoming powerlifting events and hopefully be able to keep a portion of my physicality, or at least get it back soon. But at my age its very difficult. Maybe in a year or so i'll look back upon this and say it was worth it. If there had been alternatives i would have tried those first. My wife is happy cause i have already lost about 15 lbs (muscle though, that makes me really happy (sarcasm)), t my belly would just get smaller i'd probably look fit.
I think that everyone responds differently to these procedures, so you have to just listen to your body, not get discouraged when everything doesn't go per plan (some perfect plan that we might have envisioned in our head)..., and learn to eat, drink, and live with one less organ. I think its funny how people (who havent had this procedure) say "oh, thats a simple procedure and you'll be fine".. Yes, you will be fine soon, but what a pain in the stomach it is getting there. And no, chicks really dont dig scars, at least not as many as i have.., now... I just wish my surgeon could have done a little lipo while he was in my belly...