It's been 4 weeks since I've had my gall bladder removed but I am still having pain in my abdomen area between the naval & the incision. I had a cat scan done on Monday and the doctor said it showed inflammation in that area but that I should just continue with the Vicodin and Ibuprofen and call him if it is still painful after another month. Any time I bend over like to tye my shoes I have a sharp pain and that area is still tender to the touch. The scan also showed a cyst on my pancreas but he said he was just going to check that again in 6 months. Is this much pain and inflammation still normal after 4 weeks?

I am also 4 weeks post-op and having similar symptoms. Bending over for periods of time causes my back to hurt directly behind that area. I am considering having a scope run down to see if there are any other problems such as ulcers in that area. I noticed that the pain and burning are worse when my stomach is empty..how about you? Your post made me realize I'm not alone in my symptoms at this stage of recovery as just like you I was concerned this was not normal. Thanks for sharing.

Hey!
I'm 9 days post-op and I'm hurting pretty bad anytime I bend or tie my
shoes or anytime I shave in the shower. It hurts when I eat certain things, and it also hurts when I don't eat at all. I'm not entirely sure what " bad "
things could happen after gallbladder surgery, but I'm sure there aren't
too many. The procedure is so common in the United States I'm sure we would hear more about it if something was more common and terribly wrong, ya know? (I think I'm trying to convince myself, not you LOL)...
I just guess I have questions too...
What were you told to eat? WHen were you told to resume your normal
diet? How do you sleep, side, back, belly?
Honestly, I woke up from surgery they gave me morphine and percocet for the pain, and then they sent me home @ 2pm (I had surgery @ 10am). I wasn't given specific instructions on anything. The paper I have said to call if my incision bleeds and to call if I have a fever and not to shower for 24 hours. I felt so lost when I came home, like they removed something important (to me) and they didn't even give me specific instructions! Good thing I didn't have part of my brain removed LOL...

Just scary to think you don't have an organ and you're not sure of any complications and if there were any you weren't informed, ya know? Though, if your gallbladder wasn't working in the first place it's pretty much the same having it removed, it's doing the same task.. NOTHING! lol

Jamie

I'm 5 weeks post-op and started having a lot of pain around my naval area. The surgeon only made one incision, it goes 1/2 way around the inside of my belly button. I'm having a hard time bending over, laying on my side, etc. My incision is getting a little darker and the area around it (where I had my belly button pierced) is pink, but isn't hot or anything.

A week after my surgery I started having a lot of burning pain in my chest (not heartburn or reflux), pain in my back/side and a gnawing feeling in my stomach. I finally went and had an upper GI done, testing for ulcers, inflamation in my stomach, etc. All of which have come back negative. That part is finally starting to go away now that I'm in week 5 unless I just don't notice it as much since I have this other pain around my naval area. Has anyone had the surgery done with only 1 incision like mine?

I hope we all feel better soon!

Katz05 wrote:

lostinpoint wrote:

I'm also 4 weeks post op. i had minor complications that caused me to need a shunt placed in the ducts & to have a jp drain for about a week ater surgery. incisions are mostly healing after developing a minor skin infection around the drain incision. but i've spent the last few days dealing with nausea & stomach area pain (just below my sternum) in addition to a occasional stabbing pain just under my right side rib cage area when i cough or take deep breaths like yawning.

anyone else relate to this? i'm thinking of calling the gastro dr. that placed the shunt, just in case it's a side effect of that but i dunno. the surgeon gave me a clean bill of health. ibuprophen doesn't cut it and vicoden quit working entirely about 3 weeks ago. i don't want to be treated as a seeker, but this is silly. i should be feeling better, right?

I had my gall bladder removed and you are right! It does hurt like heck for the first few weeks. I have been able to eat pretty much everything but if I over eat I got light headed/naseaus for the first month or so. After getting 8 hours of sleep every night and beginning to work out a little, it has gotten better. if you still feel bad after 10 weeks something isn't right. see your doctor who will most likely order blood work and a few extra tests. the one thing that has increased is my stomach grumbling which could be IBS but I doubt it. Just have faith and good luck!

Hey there just found this post
I e just had my GB removed infact 2 wks tomorrow
How long does it take to start feeling like yr self
I really hurt to touch my skin
And I ache in side !
Although I'm being told u should be fine now !! Also they had to unstick my gb from my bowel
Would this make me more sore ?? They don't seem to tell you anything !!!

I got my gallbladder removed following my first admission to hospital with a gallbladder attack. They found multiple gallstones I am 29 with no previous history. I woke in recovery in severe pain in my central chest sharp and burning I required serious dose of morphine to calm me down, I was kept for a further 5 days in hospital and discharged on morphine. 6 days later I felt no improvement I couldn't mobilise well I was constantly nauseous losing weight with shoulder tip pain. I went to a&e was given fluids and morphine Iv and admitted, I had an ultrasound 2 days later which showed fluid collections and dilated hepatic ducts, I then had an mrcp (MRI) 3 days after that which was clear, I was discharged the following day to come back for an ogd as an outpatient. Now 2 days later 3 weeks post surgery I have the shoulder tip pain back, sharp chest pain and tender in my right upper quadrant. My consultant said if I have any more pain over the weekend to come back but I am afraid to come back as I know I will be admitted AGAIN!

I had mine out just over three weeks ago and I feel mostly fine. Yes it hurt but my worst days was the first 4 and after that I went against orders and started lifting too much weight. I was told no lifting over 15lbs for 4 weeks after the first week was over which included no lifting at all. Just take it easy and rest. Oh and a small hint, keep an ice pack on the area of incisions and that should help. Good luck!!!

I'm two weeks post op and still have tenderness in the upper right abdominal area. I have a 25lb son and have to lift him. Tenderness still normal? How long until you felt back to yourself?

3 weeks since gb surgery...some foods still destroy me. I'm still trying to figure them out. I think they give me gas pains that feel like I'm being stabbed. Takes about 3-4 hours to go away and it's usually in the middle of the night. Seems a little coincidental That I don't get the crazy sharp pains during the day. They are usually more mild then.

I am 3 1/2 weeks post op on my gallbladder I am not having any issues with pain or anything until my family became ill now one of my incisions have a suture sticking out and is in pain I can't bend over at all with out it hurting. I am only 22 with a 2 year old getting ready for her third birthday party.

I will be 5 weeks post op this Sunday and I stay nauseous almost daily, I have to take something for it. I am also having heartburn daily as well, seems like no matter what I eat gives me heartburn as well. I cant eat much at all or it seems like it all hits my stomach at once and like my stomach is about to explode. For the first 3 weeks I had to sleep on my back mostly and ease myself in to sleeping on my sides. I am concerned because at 5 weeks later this Sunday I still have a scab on my belly button , thank god there is no redness or fever in it, still worries me that a scab is 5 weeks old. I am also having the issue it seems like my stomach makes me feel like I have to go take a number 2 even after ive went 2 sometimes 3 times for that day, almost like I have a tore up stomach bloated feeling, hard to explain.

What happened to the suture sticking out? Did you have it removed when you had your follow-up check up or did it just fall off or something?

I'm 4 weeks post tomorrow! I'm still not right. The 1st week was pretty bad they sent me home with enough meds for 2 days...HAHAH yeah right...I had to get more since they doubled my dose. Then after a week I started to feel a VERY LITTLE bit better and got of meds as soon as I started to move it was like my abdominal wall ripped open (thats what it felt like) called doctor back and they gave me more meds, said that I may have tore a stitch inside and pulled muscle and told me to rest so I did! By the end of the 3rd week im back off med and no longer have the abdominal pain BUT back to having RUQ discomfort and soooooo tender!! My incisions feel ok, the big one is somewhat sore but not nothing I can't deal with. I can not bend over in some positions like to shave my left leg..ugh! I just don't feel back to normal at all and still miserable..not in constant pain like before but just not right. I too notice I can not eat a normal serving I get filled easy and feels like food takes along time to digest. I just want ME back!!