I've been dating a guy for about a year now and is fully medicated for bi-polar disorder. Normally, we get on great and he is just about everything I can ask for, but during his lows (which seem to last much longer than the highs) he can be a lot to handle. Our relationship has gotten to the point where I can see a low coming from a mile away. He gets much more agressive and sexual (which I assume is the manic) which eventually inches closer and closer to the depressive ledge before he is fully over it. Normally he'll pick fights or snap at me making a joke or something before attempting to shut me out and hide behind his xbox for days at a time.

I'm not complaining or looking for someone to tell me that it's just apart of the disease, but I'm seeking the help of other people possibly going through the same thing. Last night before bed he told me that while I may want to listen to what's going on, I really don't. I guess it's just his way of protecting me from his own head. I just wish there was something I could do. I want to help him with whatever it is he's going through, but i'm not sure if it's my place to get involved when he's already told me it's not. Should I listen to him or should I continue to try and help hopefully getting through to him but risking him get angry with me? Normally when I'm upset I push people away but it's generally just a test to see if they'll keep trying to get through. But he's not me. I'm just not sure. Before we moved in together, I would just give him space and after about a week he would slowly pull his way out of the ground, but since I'm always around and watching him in this depression I guess just triggers my maternal instincts. I love him and I want to help. I just want to know the best way to help.

I think my Bf is the same way but he have not been diagnosed and he as well hide and play for hours on a xbox we are tryn to have a baby but he is so in & out I have now withdrew myself from him and I know he needs me but I don't know how to take him any more. Like I said he is the same way it is scary.

From a point of view of a bipolar person our minds don't want to burden people with out problems (ie. manias and depression). Going to therapy has taught me that we should be I still can't bring myself to talk to my boyfriend about any of it. I shut him out for weeks sometimes months at a time when I go into a depression.