I'm a 32-yo healthy man with healthy habits (from yoga to conscious nutrition). I went through a very stressful two-year-period mainly because of post-grad studies and developed the habbit of having a drink at the end of the day. At some points, it was the only way of relaxing and being able to fall asleep easily when anxiety was too strong. I felt it was far "healthier" than heavy medicine.

Now this stressful phase is gone and I find myself unnable to stop having one drink a day. When I say 'a drink' I literally mean 'one drink' - most usually one can of beer or one glass of wine. Once every two weeks I have something a bit stronger (such as a martini) but I don't really remember the last time I got drunk or even very high. Sometimes on weekends (again, no more than once a month) I have a bit more than usual, but never enough to really get me high.

The point is, there's a history of alcoholism in my family - not my parents, but more than 50% of my male uncles (on both sides of the family) have/had problems with drinking, one of them actually passed away at a very young age because of health issues related to drinking.

So basically friends tell me I'm very "normal" while my family members take every opportunity to express their worries about me. Honestly speaking, it is very hard for me not to have those drinks (but not any more than it is to go through my morning without two coffees) and on the other hand, i don't really feel any urge to drink any more than I do now.

So, basically my question is: should I be worried? At what point should I start worrying, if any?

I know this sounds silly, but I'm actually very concerned. I'd apprecicate any help.

Thanks!

Your question is not silly at all. I used to worry about my Mother having a glass of wine every night, after work, and I, too, was worried about her becoming an alcoholic. Therefore, I have read studies that say drinking one glass of beer, or wine a day may actually be healthy for you, believe it or not.. The folate in beer has been shown to decrease the chance of cardiovascular disease. It has also been shown to reduce blood clotting, which is also good for cardiovascular patients, as it actually helps them live longer. In women, it has been shown to help improve mental health, and may even increase bone density.

One drink a day also lowers the triglycerides and LDL in your system. BUT the effects are the same in non- alcoholic beers, as well. If you are worried about the alcohol content, you could always try these. But just because one drink a day is "healthy", this does not mean more drinks will work better- it will have the adverse affect.. I hope this helps.

Thank you very much for your reply. Well, I've heard and read a lot about those benefits. That most annoying detail is how "difficult" it is not to have that one drink, and my familiar history. Still, your standpoint of the issue is nice :)

Hi fmultimedia,

I come from a long line of alcoholic"s, i am also the only child.  I am genetically wired to become an alcoholic, but i'm not. One drink a day is not the issue, the issue is, do you want more and do you get sort of paniky when you don't? You mentioned how hard it is for you NOT to have those few drinks, this is not a good sign. I enjoy a screwdriver at the end of the day when my husband get's home from work, i like to "unwind" with him before dinner. Your family is harping on you because they know what could happen, they are just looking out for your best interest, that's all. Of course your friend's say your normal, they are probably some of your drinking buddies.

Try going a few day's without your cocktail and see what happen's. If you can skate thru with no problem then your ok, if you get freaky and paniky because of it, then you may have the start of a problem. If your family is in your ear, they must see something you don't.