Sometime I can binge drink and be fine. When I slip up and binge drink more then 10 beers per occasion I wake up with severe anxiety and panic attack that can last up to 7 days before I feel normal again. I feel suicidal at time during this time. The morning after this binge drinking I usally feel like I want to jump out of my skin and repeat purge to try and make myself feel better. I crying an crying uncontrollablely. I also take adtivan to try and make my self sleep in hopes that it will go away. My friend seem to hardly get hungover while I am unable to function properly for up to week. I enjoy drinking and try to limit myself. I tend to drink probably once ever 2 months. I just wanted to find out why this happens to me. I feel as if I have some kind of severe under laying mental problem. What should I do if this happens again.

thank you so much for the reply. Its so conforting to realize there is other people that this happens to. I would like to be able to chat with you more closelty about this. You are just like me. I also go on the net after and search for a reason why I have to suffer so much. My MSN messenger address is ***** add me so we can share info.!

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

Jared wrote:

i experience the exact same thing sandra. binge drinking gives me severe anxiety and all the nasty feelings & thoughts associated with it. I sometimes wonder too whether its some underlying disorder - especially in the few days after a binge! I think we are fine though - its not us its the binging, it affects some more harshly than others. From my research i can tell you that alcohol supresses the nervous system. its a depressant. If we depress the nerves for long periods through binge drinking our body reacts once the alcohol has gone by releasing adrenalin to compensate,making us feel severe anxiety - that totally unbearable fear that grabs you right by the chest. I hate it! il be honest ive just been on a major binge with my mates and i have spent the last few days searching the net tryting to explain the way i feel - all fueled by the fact that my stupid binge has made me feel just as you described in your post. I also beleive the fact that i know that binging is wrong and not healthy feeds my anxiety with enough negativity to maximise its awful potential - this is why maybe my friends dont get "the fear" ( as they call it) as badly, they just dont see a problem with it. I hope i will have the mental strength in the future to know better than to binge all nite because its just not worth it.Stope the binging, stop the anxiety simple as that.

Ok so I am in the middle of the exact same problem but maybe worse, im 25 years old, was a heavy drinker for years, then slowed down to only weekends, but bing drinking on those weekends I mean probably 20-25 drinks a night. Anyway, I stop drinking for a month and then go to Vegas, drink non stop for 4 days, and drink about 20 energy drinks, last night im there, I drink probably at least 40 drinks in a 24 hour span. Next morning, I wake up hung over as hell, sick as hell puking and the usual, but then all of a sudden I get depressed and anxious as hell, felt like I was loosing my mind. Could not sleep felt like I was going crazy. Missed my flight had to stay two extra days, then I go to the airport the next day and am still anxious as hell. My brother talks me into getting on the plane. Minute the plane takes off, full blown panic attack, im in the bathroom puking, thought I was trapped and going crazy. Anyway I make it home, started feeling better, now it is the next day, was feeling better the next day until about an hour ago when full blow panic attack and surreal state returns. I don’t know if it was the alcohol, dehydration or what, but I don’t know what to do to make them go away, because I truly am beginning to think that I have lost my mind. Any suggestions would help. Also has anyone gone to a doctor about this, as if it does not get better, I think I am going to go in.

yes i have been to the doctor and yes it helps I am on a med called celexa and then I have ativan also that I take as needed. I mostly just take the ativan after I have been drink and I wake up the next day with the panic attacks. Ativan helps com you down and will help you sleep. the celexa I take daily help me enjoy my life more that I dont have the need to bringe drink. It helps me learn how to enjoy my life and prevent anxiety.

Hello there,

I am going through some severe anxiety at the moment, and I'm seriously hoping it is because of my binge drinking a couple nights ago. For me, the anxiety gets so bad that I never want to have a drink again. I always seem to tell myself that I won't ever drink again, and that I should go to AA, but don't seem to follow through. I gave up drinking for about two years - 26 - 28, but then fell off the wagon. Anyway, I feel the same discomfort as has been described here, which I hope is comforting to someone. I take lorazepam to calm myself down.

It is called alcoholism. I have been struggling with it for 9 years. My binges last over a week now and I just drink vodka and don't eat a thing. When i finally do come off the binge, I withdraw big time and have seizures at times. The anxiety is what kills me the most though. It only gets worse, I would suggest doing whatever a person can to not drink ever again. I can tell by some of the posts on here that they are heading down the same path I have been. It started the same way, just the horrible anxiety after a binge. Trust me though, it gets worse and it will kill you in a horrible way if you don't stop drinking completely. I just had started a new job, went out with coworkers, drank and next thing I knew, I missed 6 days of work, lost 15 lbs and am withdrawing bad. I am only 31 years old. I am just writing all this because the anxiety after a binge is the first sign. It does get worse and will get worse unless you stop drinking completely.

This happens to me as well- only I don't even have to drink that much.

I'll have 3 or 4 drinks and I'll be fine WHILE I'm drinking- but then later on the same nite, as the alcohol is trying to leave my system, I feel SEVERELY depressed. I cry uncontrollably and don't want to be alive anymore. Then for a couple days after, I'll feel really shitty.

After that I feel fine again, but it just sucks that any time I want to get drunk I have to deal with this sh*t!

booo!

Hi i started drinking every weekend when i was about 20 , i got into all sorts of trouble with ppl and the police, i desperately wanted away from drink, I can stay off it for months and weeks but then i go back on it and all the usual sh*t happens again. I go on it for fri and sat then i suffer from sun to fri, i feel anxious, depressed, guilty, and feel like like killing myself, i feel really bad , i hate this feeling so much, i also worry that i co :-( uld get to drunk and i could get lippy with people and then i could end up murdered , drink related, i am a very quiet bot off the drink and like to keep fit but when i drink and wake up the next day, i get all the horrid feelings again and its always the same, i just want to get off the drink and be good. :-( :-(

i am not a heavy drinker but i also face the same problems after a night of drinking. Heavy depression, anxiety attacks, nausea and confusion after i wake up in the morning. feels like i am loosing my mind. i had read some were that if you have a hangover in the morning drink a glass of beer makes it better. never tried it myself but hope it works.

hi folks i have been binge drinkin now for 4 years at first i started of on just vodka lemonade and blackcurrent the only drink i liked but i would drink a lot of them and shots 2.

i sarted drinkin at 18 as i lookd 2 young 2 get into any clubs never fancyd drinkin up the local park or in the house and im 22 now and i used 2 suffer from anxiety after a night out but never thought anything of it as i just thought it was a hangover but last august i suffered from my first panic attack the most frightening thing i have ever experienced as i had taken extacy and cocaine on the night before i thought i had taken to much and was havin a heart attack so i asked my father 2 run me down the hospital and told him the whole story and got a lot of truths out to him.

when i got down the hopsital they gave me a paper bag 2 breath into but it didnt work so they gave me a drip which calmd me right down.

when i came round again i asked the nurse what happend and she said i had a panic attack , i didnt know what they were.

so i got home and i kept havin these panic attacks for the next 5 months and i didnt know what was making me have them but as time went on i realised that after a heavy binge i would have a very bad panic attack so i cut down on the drink no more vodka or shots , now i only drink lager which 2 b honest i cant stand so 4 pints of that and im home.

what i did find is that i had stoped having the panic attacks and felt a lot better in myself as i was sufferinh from depression asswell and what finally done it for me was when i saw the itv programme on binge drinkin just goneso if anyone is goin through what i did for 5 months its the drink especially vodka its a bastard. good luck

things that helped me through it.

see a doctor straight away especially if your havin thoughts of suicide
mirtazapam (anti depressant)
Lorazapam (anxiety tablet)
stop binge drinkin the best thing i ever done :-)

has anyone considered the adrenal burnout disorder for any of these problems?

i've always binge drinked in college and thought nothing of it. i thought that's what everybody did and it was fine. now i am 29 and i had my first panic attack, 2 weeks ago. after new years, i had friends visiting from the states, so i have been drinking week after week. finally my body gave up, i drank 4 nights and i was puking but i still carried on.... i didn't want my friends down...

next day i woke up with aching muscles but i was feeling a little hang over. later during the night, i had panic attack at my friends place. i felt suicidal and lost of control and FEAR. Never in my life i felt so much fear... everything could scare me. sometimes it could be just a eerie music or a repulsive image, but that never happened to me before.

i took some sleeping pill but it didn't really go away the next day. the anxiety was still in me. so i went to see a doctor, she asked me how often i binge drink. i told her couple times to many times a year. sometimes i have blackouts where i don't remember parts of the night. i said it as if it was normal but she gave me a serious look.

i guess no one ever told me that drinking until you forget stuff it's really really bad. it's brain damage. i didn't know that before. i wish someone told me or if i had more self-control. sort of like a friend that i had, she didn't know she wasn't suppose to stare into the sun until she was in junior high school. heck, i thought that was obvious but... so is binge drinking and blacking out.

i am really glad i found this forum because i am still on the way of recovery. hearing all these stories makes me feel better. this is a good support group and i hope everyone cheer each other up!

I have been dry for 2.5 weeks but i still get anxious sometimes.... but it's getting better. i am wondering how long before it's all gone! i am drinking some water and trying to eat healthy everyday. i exercise 3 times a week, running mostly for about 3 miles.

i also noticed if i am tired, i am more susceptible to anxiety.
anyhow, message me if you have any suggestions or tips

oh yea, the doctor gave me some librium and atvans but i don't take them unless i am really panciing or scare or can't sleep.... i have only taken it twice in two weeks.

It's wonderful to read all of these posts that describe what i go through. I resonate very closely with most of the posts here.

I've begun to have these problems when I turned 27 or so (i'm 30 now) and I can tell you that my episodes are closely linked to stress. I'm in college now and usually do not have drinks during a semester. I'm very organized and productive in day to day life, and when i drink, i feel like it is my time to let loose and give myself a break from this usual self control. Drinking does, however, allows me to relax after a few beers, but then tend to over drink throughout the night, where i get very different than my usual self, sometime mischievous and twisted and i begin thinking about past stresses (loosing parents at young age). My executive functioning goes right out of the window, so efforts to self control amounts of drinking seem unattainable. The next day i feel terrible and depressed, have a heavy feeling in my chest and often think of how i hate myself and sometimes not wanting to live anymore. I often ask my girlfriend if she thinks i'm a good person, and i'm very doubtful at those times. Now this is in stark contrast to how i usually am, which only adds to my confusion. I often have serious regret about the night before, things i may have said or done weigh heavily on my mind and heart. It usually takes about 4 days before i feel normal and productive again. Then i go a long while before drinking again, feel I have learned from my mistakes, and when i'm exposed to another drinking situation, no matter how good or strong i feel before drinking, 9 times out of 10 history repeats itself.

I used to think these feelings arose out of mixing different alcoholic beverages (beer/mixers, etc) and then I tried not mixing, one night on only beer, or wine (never mixers for me anymore) and found that it didn't really matter, one type of drink may take you to the dark side faster but they are all going in the same direction.

I haven't tried medication, but i'm interested in how you guys feel off of them. I'm blessed in the sense that i don't really have to drink and don't really ever crave it. I feel as if I should never drink again as i see a consistent pattern but situational factors are challenging. I often wonder, how many times will i have to go through this before I stop drinking all together. I agree with the post that says we should stop drinking entirely, and I feel that we would all go a lot further in our academic, professional, and personal lives without it. This of course, is intended for those of us who have these problems. My theory is that we are all probably from heavily drinking families with genetics and a metabolism to process larger amounts of alcohol, thus leading to a faster drinking rate and perhaps we spend more of our body's resources to keep metabolizing the alcohol, including fats (where by i have very little body fat). I assume brain fats are not immune from this metabolic wrath and perhaps the depression and anxiety stem from it's expenditure.

I hope this helps, just know that for some, its a common occurance and most of these bloggers have the tendency to drink more than usual. Either limit your drinking to 6 drinks or less in a night or stop drinking all together. For me, it's much easier to not drink at all than it is to drink and exercise limits.

You'reprobably not going to want to hear this, but the drinking has to stop. Seriously...I was going through some hard times and was drinking a lot. It began with once a week and by the 8th month, I was up to three four nights a week. I told myself I'd slow down but I think deep inside we all know that's not going to work. I had to accept I was not like everybody else and could have a drink and then stop....
I wrote another posting for panic attacks if you guys want to read it, its a more detail story of my situation. But anyway, after a night of drinking, I woke up with a panic attacks...yet I kep drinking telling myself I was going to drink lee...well, it only got worse.
It's been almost 10 moonths since I've had a drink, and let e tell you, it feels so much better...I don't even miss it!!!! Of course I had to ge thelp for the panic attakcs and it's been a long road (see my other posting if interested) but I am better and alcohol free!
I'm not a Doctor but I think you may be wanting to hear what I wanted to hear, that I could drink and be ok...but I know that wasn't the reality, at least not for me. The alcohol makes you even more depressed, and brings on all those feeling of guilt and anger,and more depression... I know I am better without frinking, I never have hang overs, feel shaky or tired or nauseus or guilty...and thanks to treatment I am now panic free. There is help out there, beleive me, there is for all of us! Don't give up.

well well well here I am again! I had actually been really really responsible drinking a beer or two for a while, eating REALLY healthy and working out! Well I got sick and then had trouble sleeping. I stayed away from alcohol for a while but just got tired of being tired. A few drinks did help but it brought back my "problem" again. I finally broke my 2-4 beer committment and did a PARTY day. Now I'm anxious as all hell, I slept maybe 2 hours each of the last 2 nights...I fell like I can't function and I'm blowing off responsablilities.

I really really enjoy a couple of beers and having fun with friends, but it NEVER NEVER stays that way. If life was perfect I know I could do it but life throws all kinds of curveballs and then I end up right back here! I did a total binge drinking day and now I can't get back to normal. I had a few drinks last night just to get positive. The anxiety is HORRIBLE!!

I want to be a happy successful person and this is not working at all.

I'm thinking "baby steps" - maybe just not drink for 3 months?? Or just never again? All I know is this can't keep happening.